Violet-green Swallow

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I generally don’t shoot in electronic shutter mode: I like the auditory feedback of the mechanical shutter and electronic takes too many images, some you don’t even know you took. But for this shot I did use electronic. The swallow would enter the nest, feed the chicks, and within a second or two fly out. I gave the swallow a second in the nest, then started firing and was able to catch a number of flight poses. I like this for the wing position and that the green back and violet tail are visible.

Specific Feedback

Any.

Technical Details

Canon R5; 100-500 with 1.4 Tx at 420 mm; 1/5000 at f13, -1EV; ISO 4000

1 Like

Excellent, Allen. I need to try that. It’s not like we have a shortage of boxes, though I think the first broods have pretty much all just fledged so I may need to wait awhile. I see you were at f/13. Did you prefocus or just use that to help get better detail in case the AF didn’t lock on in time?

I love the story this tells and the shadow of the bird on the box is a great little addition.

1 Like

Thanks, Dennis. I wanted a bit more depth of field, though not sure how much I gained. I did pre focus on the opening and given the angle I was shooting from, was probably close to the same plane as the flight path.

Clever idea and a good frame – I’ve tried similar things and failed miserably. I never thought I’d say 20 fps isn’t enough!

1 Like

Cool shot that I need to try. It’s not like you’re wasting film! Plus you got a bonus insect in the frame. A little noisy at the largest size, but I would expect that. Good catch.

2 Likes

I love this photo, Allen! Swallows are so hard to get! I usually do the panning method, trying to track them in flight. This was a great opportunity to be ready and know she would come out. I think it’s kind of neat when you have it on continuous shutter and you get some surprises that ‘you don’t even know you took’! Great capture!

1 Like

These flight shots of swallows are tough to get perfect. Pose is excellent and the shdaows present add some depth to the image. The bird house also adds some context which helps to complete the story…Jim

1 Like