Female Violet-green Swallow

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I went out to get some backyard images last week because spring was just busting out everywhere. I really liked all the greens in this image when I looked at it on the computer. The 2x4 is a post for mounting bird boxes. We live on an old gravel bar in a glacial outwash river and sinking post holes is ridiculous, so we put in T-posts and zip tie the 2x4’s to them. Not elegant, but the birds don’t care.

Specific Feedback

Light was already starting to get a bit harsh when I took this. Hopefully it’s not too bad.

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC, 840 mm, tripod, f/9, 1/1600, iso 2500, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped from a horizontal to 3721x4340. Taken at 6:53 AM on May 11th.

What a sweet expression on this little swallow’s face, Dennis. Great pose and backdrop. The green in the post, background and the bird blend very well to create a harmonious setting, at least for me. The whites on the birds breast look a little blow out, but I am certainly not the right person to judge. What keeps catching my eye is the single feather that is sticking out about the middle of his back. Like it is defying all the other feathers. Just love it!