Still (+repost)

REPOST integrating some suggestions (lightened trunks, balanced lighter area in UR + brought up shadows a teeny bit in LL and mid-right side)

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

What’s your initial reaction to this? What mood does it evoke for you? Is there a story it conjures up?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

I’m interested in YOUR description, rather than mine.

Technical Details

This image was created with an in-camera multiple exposure: 3 images, dark mode. First image was a still, second and third were ICMs. See screenshots for metadata and LR settings.

Specific Feedback

I’m mostly looking for Conceptual and Emotional feedback. What does it say to you? What’s a word, phrase, or narrative that comes up? I’m trying to decide if I add this to my physical inventory of pieces to print and offer for sale (usually through local group shows). How much does this appeal to you from a “I’d hang that on my wall” perspective? If yes, what’s compelling about it? If no, what doesn’t work for you? Insights welcome! Thanks!

Beth, I find this view intriguing and a bit mysterious. I like the 4 trunks towards the left and the “landscape” along the bottom. I’m not sure about the roughly 50:50 mix of vertical and horizontal and the area lacking contrast coming down from the top just to the right of center. My suggestion is to reduce the strength of the horizontals on the right and bring out the verticals a bit more.

1 Like

Immediate Response: Brrrrrrrrr! This feels like a very cold icy day with high winds.

In the middle of a hot summer, I’d probably want this on my wall. In the winter, probably not because it feels so cold to me. I do admire your vision and craftsmanship.

1 Like

Beth, wonderful and unique image! Initial mood is a zen like feel to it. I’m liking the combination of horizontal and vertical lines in the image as well as the cooler tones. There is a harmony and connectedness in the lines that is coming through to me. I also get an impression of purity and tranquility. Nice work!

A few suggestions for you.

1. Recommend cropping the bottom off to eliminate that lower left section and a bit off the left side.
  2. Recommend lightening the vertical trunks a bit on the left to reinforce the airy and light quality of the image
1 Like

@Mark_Seaver , thanks for sharing your thoughts. I see what you mean re: the horiz/vert textures. I didn’t think to alter that because I like the soft light coming through. I’ll play around with it!

@Dennis_Plank, your seasonal response to this makes sense to me! When I took this a few days ago (Sept 24) it was a little warm and humid, so the cool treatment is deceptive :slight_smile: .

@Alfredo_Mora, I appreciate hearing your impressions - thanks! RE: the suggestions, yes, I thought about lightening those trunks, as they are just a touch heavy compared to the rest of the image. I’ll look at the cropping suggestion to see what impact that has. Thanks!

1 Like