Storks at sunset

I have recently had reason to re-visit and re-edit some photos from a trip I made just before the pandemic. This one caught my eye and I distinctly remember when I took it thinking that it should make a great silhouette.
The camera has done most of the work on an auto setting reading for the sky, but I have deepened the colour in the sky a little to give a bit more impact but I have also pulled out a little bit of detail in the main tree trunk on the right.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I think that most of the impact comes from the strong silhouette of the birds against the coloured sky but do you think it needs any detail in the trees or should I just let them go to black?

Technical Details

Lumix GX8 with Panasonic/Leica 100-400 @ 100mm
1/800 @ f7.1
ISO 400
Topaz DeNoise

1 Like

For me, the image is about the birds and sky, so the trees probably don’t need more detail. Though that said, I do like the feathery aspect of the branches. I think the image works well in creating a mood of a peaceful end to the day.

Hey Ryan! These kinds of photos are some of my favorites. It is a calming mood overall and takes me back to my time in Kenya. Really cool silhouette. These photos may look simple but there’s a lot that goes into them. Good job!

Thanks for the comments.
I agree with you Allen that the photo is essentially the birds and the sky. On reflection I am happy with a little bit of detail in the tree as it avoids having a block of black in the bottom right.
David, yes this was in Africa, in South Luangwa, Zambia.