Evening's Rest + reworked

reworked image

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

An African Openbill Stork discovers a safe place to roost for the night. We enjoyed this peaceful moment from photographer-equipped boats as we drifted along the Chobe River in Botswana.

Specific Feedback

All comments are appreciated

Technical Details

Sony a6400 with 100-400 lens and a 1.4 teleconverter
ISO 800, f/8, 1/1250 sec. at 267 mm
Processed in LR and PS

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

Barbara, a beautiful silhouette against one of the gorgeous red Africa sunset.
No nits here - just stunning.

Wow! I love the silhouette of the trees and the stork. against that incredible red sky. Beautiful.

Excellent capture! There is a small glitch with areas that appear blueish (or at least gray) in the tree. Since the rest of the image is all black and orange, you could “select” them by color – just do an unmasked Hue-Sat or maybe Selective Color and see it you can desaturate or even bend the color bits toward orange. If that proves difficult, maybe backing off the orange saturation would help. Small nit but an easy fix if it works.

Thanks to @Ed_Williams, @SandyR-B, and @Diane_Miller for your kind remarks. Diane, you spotted the problem that I was having with the light spots in the tree. I had worked on them, but not to my satisfaction. The reworked image addresses the problem if you look at it from a distance! I hope!