Storm Brews on Stockton

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Nature’s drama is ready to commence at the Stockton Dunes, where the calm yet unyielding dunes stand in anticipation of an imminent storm. Sculpted by relentless winds, the landscape forms a vivid contrast against the charged skies, its textured surface highlighted by the natural light that preludes the tempest’s arrival.

Specific Feedback

Any feedback welcome

Technical Details

16 mm at ISO 100 and 1⁄100sec at ƒ/11

1 Like

Don,
Hard to believe this image has no replies! The sky with those ominous looking clouds is dripping with drama and mood and I love the way they fan out across the top of the frame. I am also liking the textures and details in the sand along with the clumps of dune grasses, which lead me into the scene perfectly. No suggestions from me.

1 Like

Hi Ed, thanks for your kind words. It’s always a pleasure when an image strikes a chord with someone, and I’m glad you enjoyed the drama of the sky in this shot. I’m sharing another version, this time in color with a human element — my wife, which might give a different perspective on the scale of the landscape. Perhaps color may have served the image better , who knows? While I personally lean towards the black and white for the way it accentuates the mood, I do think color has its place and can sometimes convey a scene with a different energy. Ultimately, I tend to post images that I feel are the best representation of my vision. If it resonates, that’s wonderful; if not, that’s perfectly okay too. I really value your feedback and agree that it’s exchanges like these that enrich our community.

I defintely think you made the right choice with the B&W rendition. In B&W the sky is simply stunning!!

I love this image! To me it has just about the right balance between lights and darks. I think the only thing I would have done differently is to slide to the right a bit, decenter that foreground clump just a little and help that curve of the cloud connect with the curve of the dune. Great shot!

Great image Don !!! I love the foreground and how the flow of the image goes to the sky … Black and White works perfect and all the tones are there …