Flow and Steadyness

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is an image from the western beach on the island of Sylt, Germany. My wife and I were hiking in the evening along the 25-miles-long sandy beach when we came to this relict of a groin. A number of groins was built in the 19th century as a futile attempt to stabilize the sand dunes of the island.

Technical Details

Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 with Olympus Zuiko 12-60mm 2.8-4.0 at 60mm, f/22, 5 sec, ISO 200, tripod, ND-filter

2 Likes

Nice shot. I like the composition and choice of SS. The sideglow on the groins is beautiful.

Peter,
The pastel colors along with the soft light have created a wonderful mood in this scene. I find it very inviting and it looks like the perfect location to take an evening stroll with your wife as the waves lap at your feet. Nicely done; no suggestions from me.

Peter, this has a peaceful feel. I agree with @Michael_Lowe about the SS. It suggests the movement of the water but doesn’t eliminate the textures in the surf. I wonder what a different angel that allows the eye to follow along the groins to their end would be like. The movement of the groins out of the frame make we want to know where they are going. Thanks for sharing this lovely scene.