Storm Clouds

The monsoons have finally started in Arizona. I was hoping for lightening but, none. I liked the texture of the clouds and converted to B&W. There is some color to begin with but, thought I would try B&W. Kind of dark and moody.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any thoughts about converting to B&W.

Technical Details

Canon R6, Tokina 16-28, f/8,ISO 100, 1/125 sec, 28mm, not a panorama 9x16,tripod.
LR for conversion and other adjustments.
All feedback appreciated.

1 Like

What a dramatic scene. The sky is tremendous. I would raise the high values in the land so that individual objects appear a bit more clearly. Very little, so that the mood isn’t changed.

Thanks. I did the same and was going to post it but, you beat me to it. Much better.

Awesome, moody image, Charlie. I like those clouds. B&W adds to the atmosphere of the scene. I like how you’ve emphasized the sky here too. Well done. Hope to see more of your monsoon images soon.

This is a very cool scene, I like the b/w conversion. My only issue is that my eye keeps going to the bright cloud at top center and no where else for whatever reason. Not sure if that is fixable or not, but it seems if there were some brighter objects throughout the frame it could help keep the eye suspended on the image longer.

I darkened the bright areas and lightened the fore ground some. Better balance. Thanks.
charlie

Charlie,

What a grand and glorious sky! Dramatic indeed! I really like your comp and set up; the land - while a narrow sliver relative to all the space of the sky, works quite nicely with the saguaro, the mountains and even the open ground up front. Good choice lightening the land area.

Personal preference of course, but I would be inclined to really boost the contrast in the clouds. I think even more drama could be squeezed out of this, without going overboard. You might even be able to emphasize the squalls of rain along the horizon.

Very cool as captured and presented.

Lon

Lon, I tried your suggestion but, couldn’t do much with the rain. I won’t mess with it any further. Each suggestion helped. Thanks to all for their input.