Sugar Hill Lupines

I do not know how many years this stately tree has left due to the split; only time will tell. Every June the field of lupines bloom and surround the tree with a lovely carpet of color. This particular day the wind was fairly calm so I thought I would try to shoot four images for a focus stack to get enough DOF. Here is the end result.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D800, Nikon 35-70 @ 70 mm, f 14 @ 1/60 sec, ISO 400 cable release & tripod

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Beautiful, Ed. Those lupines are lookin pretty peak. Colors look great and nice overcast lighting. Wow, I would never attempt to shoot this scene with a 70mm. The wind must have been absolutely still for you to focus stack this. I don’t see any artifacting at all. Great work.
:vulcan_salute::vulcan_salute::vulcan_salute::vulcan_salute:

Hi Michael. You know this was one of my favorite scenes. Better lighting than mine and technically well done. Love it.

This is gorgeous, Ed. Expertly framed with good balance and interest throughout. Only reaction is that the color balance seems a bit on the warm side, especially for soft, open shade lighting conditions. I think that if you play with the color balanced a bit those lupines will really pop. In any event this is a superb image.

I just landed at LAX 42 hours ago and I am very pleased to see this image on the forum, Ed. I love the composition and the juxtaposition between the “soft” lupine and the “rugged” tree in the BG (oak?) I would explore what Dave suggested above. Even though I find the color quite pleasing here but playing with it to achieve some more separation can be quite a fun adventure.

Thanks for your thoughts @Michael_Lowe, @Patricia_Brundage, @Dave_Dillemuth and @Adhika_Lie; they are always appreciated. Here is a version with a slightly cooler tone to address Dave’s suggestion.

Ed, Absolutely love this composition. Beautiful scene!

This turned out great, Ed. The comp really works and I think the cooler presentation does as well. I am really enjoying this one.

Ed, this is a terrific scene, with that amazing tree and an outstanding field of lupines around it. While both versions look great, I slightly prefer your original post as it seems like the tonal separation between the tree and it’s surrounding is subtly clearer.

This is gorgeous Ed! Subtle as it may be, I like the color balance adjustment in the repost.

That’s just one great old tree - and only improve by the company it’s keeping. well done!

Lon

Thanks so much for the kind words @Nick_Bristol, @Harley_Goldman, @Mark_Seaver and @Lon_Overacker. So glad you enjoyed the image.