Sunflower Field at Dawn

I know, I shot the backs of the sunflowers, but blame that on the sun. The sun was just rising and I wanted the bright yellow yellow flowers between me and the sun. I will go back this afternoon and try to capture the fronts of the flowers with the sun backlighting them. I would appreciate any and all critiques, especially as to post processing.

This is a 5 image focus stack using Helicon.

Nikon D810 w/ Nikkor 80-400 @ 180mm
1/125 @ f/16
ISO 100
Tripod

ig @simplynatureart

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

I think the image is interesting by itself, Bill. The hard contrast seems to work in this image. I enjoy the distribution of the flower in the image.

1 Like

Wow! Now that’s what I’d call a floral overload. Bill, this is a really cool assortment. The backlight worked in your favor. I don’t do focus stacking, but this looks like it would be an interesting exercise. No suggestions from me.

1 Like

This is a wonderful image Bill. I actually love to shoot flowers with back lighting whenever possible, and in this image you got some very dramatic results by shooting into the sun. I also like that you shot the back side of the sunflowers, having the green centers of the flowers creates a nice repetition of color with the leaves. This creates a much more unusual view of sunflowers than we typically see from the front side. Instead you have ended up with a more graphic, abstract view of this field of sunflowers, so kudos to you for creating a pretty unique image. Nicely done…

1 Like

Wonderful image, Bill. I love the almost abstract expression of this photograph. The colours are beautiful and the balance of light and dark, green and yellow is perfect. I also love the depth as the flowers recede deep into the image. For me, however, the clarity feels overmuch. Personally, I don’t think you need to push it so hard, the image really speaks for itself. P.S. I love that you shot the back of the flowers - so much more interesting, or at least, unexpected, than the front, in my opinion.

1 Like

Great image. It looks like where Salvador Dali was buried.
I like everything about it.
Thank You

1 Like

Bill: Are you sure it was the sun at fault and not something you said to make these guys turn away?:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::wink: All kidding aside, this is frame filling fantastic, especially the largest version. Most excellent! >=))>

1 Like

Bill,

This is outstanding! Please don’t tell me this was “illustrated?” Perhaps one of the best in-camera floral abstracts I’ve seen and a fantastic image to add to your portfolio. I wouldn’t change a thing. I love this.

Lon

1 Like

Thanks, Lon. I’m not sure what you mean by “illustrated”, but this is just an image I cropped square and processed thru Capture One and CS6 as I normally do. The only differences in the processing would be that I used Select Color Range to play with both the greens and yellows since that’s really the only two colors in the image.

Thanks Adhika, Bill L, Ed, Kerry, Steven, Bill F, and Lon for your kind words. I always appreciate your comments and critiques.

Hey Bill, I guess I should have been more direct. “Illustrated” in the context of my comment, = “photoshopped” as in any number of filters than can be applied, such as water color, charcoal sketch, etc. I think it’s one thing to apply filters for artsy effects, it’s another to achieve a natural abstract through conventional capture, processing and presenting (cropping for eg.) Hope this makes sense.

Love the image.