Sunning Buddies

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any.

Any pertinent technical details:

1/1600 sec, f/5.6, iso 400.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

A very nice catch, Larry. I’m a bit torn on this one. In some ways I’d like to see a closer crop, but you seem to have a reasonable distance in front of the alligator, so I’d hate to encroach on that much.

This was a tough exposure and it looks like you handled that well and have good depth of field. I almost never use one myself, but this looks like one of those times when a polarizer might have come in handy to help tame the reflection on the turtle’s shell.

Thanks Dennis. That turtle’s back does catch your eye, doesn’t it? Maybe there is a way in Photoshop to tone it down.

The Croc and the Turtle happened to find a great place to sun-bath, out of the water. I don’t mind the turtle but the grasses behind them are too bright.

A slightly different crop and exposure adjustment.

I like your recent post of this, Larry. The less harsh sunlight is an improvement. Alligators and turtles commonly can be seen doing community sunbathing, especially the younger gators like this guy. I’ve gotten old images of them from Okefenokee NWR, as well as in local bayous.

1 Like

Thanks Bill!

A very nice job on the repost, Larry. The turtle comes through much better and the reeds are mellowed out nicely.