Turtles in the sun

During a visit to a local park with a lake a group of turtles gathered on a bit of rock peaking out of the water. I experimented with different shutter speeds and like how the reflections look in this version (5 seconds).

Specific Feedback Requested

In the field I noticed that the background grasses and tree trunk were soft, almost bokeh-like due to the long focal length (300 mm) and my decision to focus on the turtles. At the time I thought I liked the look of it, being almost portrait like with the turtles in sharp focus and everything else soft. As a result I did not take any other frames for potential focus stacking. (Note to self–always take those extra frames just in case.) I still think I like it but I wonder if anyone finds the background softness distracting or not working.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

2 Likes

Dean, this is a fun image. I love the line of turtles. I think the soft background and foreground work to accentuate the turtles, which are the main subject. Well done.

This one is working really well for me. I think the limited DOF is very effective. Also, I really expected not to like the bright reflected trunk in the foreground but find it works really well to pull me into the image. I might experiment with burning the brighter reeds in the background but no other thoughts come to mind.

Got to like those turtles - all separated and with their necks out! How did you you manage that. ? Well done
To me though, there are 2 if not 3 distracting elements - especially in the bottom 1/4 - personally, I would crop these 2 to allow the eye to go directly to the main subject.
I did not check for turtle sharpness ( background is perfect! ) but I am assuming you did at 1:1

What is really neat about the turtles is that they are all facing the same way, except for the one on the far right, who is facing the opposite way. That is a really nice small touch.

I agree with @Harley_Goldman about trying to burn down the background reeds (and if you do so, you may need to burn their reflection as well to keep the reflection darker than the reeds.

I assume Karl is referring to these 3 elements as potential distractions

I’d clone away item #1, to me it adds nothing to the image. Item #2, I’m kind of with Harley, at first when viewed small I thought I would have an issue with it, but I ended up seeing it the same as Harley, it serves a purpose. Items #3 is something I might clone away too (or at least burn it down), it has visual weight in a place where you don’t want it.

Dean,
First off the placement of the sunning turtles couldn’t be more perfect! I think you made the right call by having the turtles in focus while letting the BG go soft as it helps keep the attention on the turtles. My only suggestion would be taking care of the three areas that @Ed_McGuirk mentioned. Very nicely done.

Thank you David, Harley, Karl, Ed M, and Ed L. I will try out the burning/cloning suggestions.