Sunrise at the Laguna, the next day + RP

And a brighter version:

And having some fun with it:

After the previous post from here, water levels remained reasonably high (there is an online water level gauge for flood control management) and the next clear night favored morning ground fog again, so I went back for the next sunrise. Unprecedented luck again! No pano this time due to ugly sticks above the lowered water level to the left and right. (The location drains quickly after a heavy rain.) Mist was more ephemeral this time but I got this one. I love the asymmetry in the sun and its reflection!

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Screen Shot 2022-08-27 at 6.32.40 PM

Lens was the Canon 70-200 f/2.4. Minor global tonal tweaks in LR; into PS for NR (hardly needed but the default minor sharpening is always nice). Enhanced the mist a bit. Selective Color for Neutrals to tweak colors a bit. Full frame.

5 Likes

What a great moody shot. Really like the layered effect and the fog over the water. Great composition with the sun perfectly placed. Hang this one on the wall! I could look at this every day with enjoyment.

This is the best of the series. I think the sun has a lot to do with that. Although I like to think of it as the moon.

Excellent scene, Diane. Has a very haunting atmosphere about it. But at the same time very peaceful too.
Another great cover shot for a Stephen King novel… :ghost:

1 Like

Beautiful, Diane! I love the contrast between the clear sun above and through the tree in the reflection. Great subtle detail. No nits here, this one is a real beauty.

This is another beautiful image from Laguna! As with the pano shot, this is a beautiful comp with excellent detail. My only question is how are going to choose which one to put on that metal print? Both are excellent photos.

Thanks, @Harley_Goldman, @Steve_Kennedy, @Allen_Brooks, @Igor_Doncov and @Paul_Breitkreuz! I’m feeling it’s a bit underexposed and posted a brighter version above. Also had some fun with the reflection.

30x30 metal print of the previous image on order! Looking for another wall…

1 Like

Diane,

Love this! Gorgeous setting and conditions. Great job just knowing your environment and anticipating favorable conditions - looks like a gold mine for future images as well!

Fabulous mood and atmosphere - both versions. Can’t decide between the two; the darker or brighter version. They are both outstanding.

No suggestions here. Just enjoyment!

Lon

Diane, I like the mood of the darker version. as @Paul_Breitkreuz said, great cover for a Stephen King book.

Your just for fun shot is pretty cool too. Nice!

Cheers,
David

1 Like

Great image Diane. Lots of mystery and intrigue.
I find the bright spot at the top keeps pulling me in that direction. I would darken it or crop the top.
The branch at the top right is a bit distracting and I would try to clone it out.
Love the sun.

One word, Diane - STUNNING!! I like the first darker image the best. I love the mysterious mood it displays. I also like your “having some fun” image. I agree with @Allen_Brooks that this should be hung on a wall. Beautiful photo!

The darker version is my preference as well. The upper sky is so much richer in that version.

Another vote for the dark version. So dramatic, but also kind of soothing and forbidding at the same time. Wall hanger for sure!

A little bit late here it looks like but I much prefer the darker the version. It’s moodier which is what this image is all about and the colors are richer. I love the reflection of the sun poking through the trees rather than above the trees and that it’s sitting on top of the dead tree stump. I really also like the flipped version of the water reflection. Very creative Diane. I’m not sure I like the dark wavy patterns along the bottom of that one but a very small crop would take that right out. You’ve got yourself a goldmine for sure.

Thanks everyone! (Too many of you to cite…) Looks like the dark version wins!

This place is a gold mine but even with weather forecasts and an online water level gauge, the right conditions occur maybe 0.3 times a year. I must have been out there 2 dozen times that looked promising and probably half the time I never got out of the car. (Thankfully, there’s a Starbucks on the way here, too.)

One more late vote for the darker one.
Love the mood you got here.
Fantastic.