Sunset Magic

The magic of sunsets at the coast take my breath away. Always grateful to see them and capture them.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback on this image would be welcome. Thank you :wink:

Technical Details

Processed in Lightroom and Luminar 4. ISO 400 SS 350 Aperture 4.0

1 Like

Hi Michelle, welcome to NPN, I know you’ll get a lot out of this community. I sense that you’re somewhere in Oregon; I am based in Portland. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

I really like this image, it has a wonderful, warm glow to it. The blown out sun in the upper right does tend to pull my eye away from the awesome rocks on the left. I took the liberty of downloading your image and cropped out most of the sun, then added a slight vignette to darken the upper right corner.
It’s just my perspective, I hope you don’t mind. Also, I notice there were several dust bunnies on the image. These can be easily cloned/healed out.

Here’s what I came up with:

Once again, welcome to NPN.

Cheers,
David

Welcome to NPN. Lovely warm colors. I find @David_Bostock’s suggested crop more compelling as it helps keep the focus away from the edges and on the nice waterspray and rocks.

While I understand that sometimes cropping an image produces a size ratio that might not be desirable, in this case, the very bright URC is distracting. The crop suggestion really strengthens the overall image. It was well seen and captured at the perfect moment for the splashing wave. Finally, Welcome to NPN. It’s a great place to learn and improve your photography. I’ve been here since its beginning.

Thank you for your input :wink:

| David Bostock Landscape Moderator
July 28 |

• | - |

Hi Michelle, welcome to NPN, I know you’ll get a lot out of this community. I sense that you’re somewhere in Oregon; I am based in Portland. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

I really like this image, it has a wonderful, warm glow to it. The blown out sun in the upper right does tend to pull my eye away from the awesome rocks on the left. I took the liberty of downloading your image and cropped out most of the sun, then added a slight vignette to darken the upper right corner.
It’s just my perspective, I hope you don’t mind. Also, I notice there were several dust bunnies on the image. These can be easily cloned/healed out.

Here’s what I came up with:

Once again, welcome to NPN.

Cheers,
David

Thank you :wink:

Welcome! I love the color; it gives a nice warm feeling to the image.

I see the others’ point about the sun being distracting, but I do really like the color of the water and the nice distant wave action on the right. I think I prefer the original for that reason. Did you happen to take any images just as the sun slipped to the horizon? I wonder if that would have helped reduce the dynamic range while keeping the color? Maybe not, but it would be interesting to compare.

Thank you so much for your feed back. Will check and see if I have any after the sunset. Thank you so much once again :wink:

Hi Michelle, Welcome to NPN! Great to have you here!

Terrific first post - I’m pretty sure each of us all relate to sunrises/sunsets and how the colors and what happens at these times of the day just mesmerize… And to that point, I like your image as posted. The comments about the big, bold sun pulling the eye and needed to somehow tone that down - are perfectly valid and I do like David’s crop. On the flip side though, the power of the sun - it’s near impossible to tame or tone down and sometimes you just need to embrace it. The wider view allows the viewer to enjoy the foamy surf and the reflected lightand colors in the sand, etc.
Heck, even the lens flare works!

Thanks for sharing! And we look forward to your images and participation!

Lon

ps. Hate to mark this first post with a reminder - and no worries, you’ve just joined so not a big deal… but noticed you posted a second image shortly after this one in the same categor. As you learn and explore the site, we do ask for just a single post per day per category. Thanks!

Thank you so much for your sweet comment. Surly apricate it :slight_smile: Sorry about the second post. Will keep that in mind next time.

1 Like