Sun & Spray at Sunrise

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

At the heart of my photographic journey is this familiar rocky outcrop, bathed in the soft glow of daybreak. The sun’s ascent is echoed by the ocean’s spirited leaps, creating a performance of natural splendor.

Specific Feedback

Any feedback welcome

Technical Details

30 mm at ISO 640 and 1⁄2500sec at ƒ/10

Nice timing! How long did you wait? Burst mode burn out? LOL. I’ve done similar things with waterfalls and rocky cascades to get just the right shape in the water. I wonder if getting lower down would help with the feeling of drama. To me the foreground takes away from that. A scroll crop emphasizes it, but feels off balance. Cool shot though.

1 Like

I really enjoy this image. You’ve captured the rising sun with the motion of the wave at the same time the water glistens. It doesn’t get much better than that! Nice.

1 Like

@Kris_Smith @Kristal_Kraft
Thanks for the feedback, Kristen! Fortunately, the break here is very regular; you can almost count it in, so a very short burst is all that’s needed. Personally, I believe the foreground is very much part of the story, but I understand what you are saying and will give that a try when I’m there next.

Thanks, Kristal. I am really happy you enjoyed the image.

1 Like

I really like this one Saundie. The warm sun rays, and on the rocks, and that great splashing wave are really nice.

I just love the way the splash frame the sun!

I might consider cropping this a bit–less foreground and more emphasis on the splash and sun.

Wonderful image.

@Ed_Williams @DJLeland

Thanks for the encouraging feedback; it’s much appreciated! :pray:

Thanks Don for a stop action wave shot in the Age of ND Filter Blur Shots. My earliest seascapes were shot at high shutter speeds to capture the power and distortion in the crashing water. I still like doing that. I like how you combined the frozen spray with the sun. I’d crop it off on the right to further emphasize the colorful foreground features and eliminate that dark foreground feature intruding at right. I think this would give a bit more symmetry to the image.