Sunrise through the ice

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I left my house on a Sunday on an early October. I had questioned leaving the house as there was a heavy level of fog during a cold snap.
The trees seemed to be coated in sugar as I walked up the street. and visibility was low enough I considered turning around.

As I rounded the courner of my street and walked along a vacant area that hadnt been deveolped, I a soft warmth on my face. I looked up the hill and could see a soft orange hue starting to crest abouut 400m at the top of the hill.

I looked through the viewfinder of my Nikon Z8 with a 400mm lens and saw the top of the sun peak over the hill and create a silhouette on a small brush.

I started taking photos until the sun had risen about the hill.

Specific Feedback

Any advice would be appreciated.

Technical Details

Nikon z9 with 400mm f/4.5

1/1250 sec f/4.5 ISO 200

Processed with lightroom and photoshop

Lightroom Denoise applied

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Hi Kristian. I really like this sunrise as I live in a foggy area and happen to love it. I do think that decentering the sun a bit by cropping from the bottom and the right might make for a more powerful image.

I’m moving this to Landscape as I suspect you didn’t really want it in the Avian forum.

I really like the artistic feel of this Kristian. It feels like Japanese art to me. I really like the little tip of the tree sticking up into the bright orange of the sun.

Kristian,

This is an alluring photograph. The simplicity is what I think makes it so strong visually. The lack of detail anywhere else other than the small treetop piques one’s curiosity but then the simply partial circle of the sun just sets a calmness. It’s a great photo.

I love the simplicity in this image Kristian. Talk about serendipity! Evocative scene.