Sunset over Sand Ripples on the Cape

Take on the Cape in 2017. Processed now with modern armory!

EDIT Note - It seems that the sky and sand ripples may be competing. I have reworked this. But if we decide to have the sand ripples as the main focus, how would you crop ?

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Normally one would expect darker reflections. I have tried to darken the reflections some. The original file shows that in this case the reflections were lighter - but accidentally shot in JPG - new D850 then and forgot to set the date and file

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Looking to see any artistic renditions of this

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Karl, the title got my attention (spent some summertime months there many, many years ago) but your sunset doesn’t grab me nearly as much as the foreground sand ripples do. Their spiky and snake like quality leading into the water’s edge holds my interest completely. I think this is a most unique and wonderful element in the image; they certainly lead my eyes to the clouds, but they seem rather common and just not enough interest there for me. I think I might look toward cropping the sky element out and work on developing more color and contrast in the shadows and light reflections throughout the water, even with the jpg capture.

Hi Karl, I love the strong leading lines in the composition. Well processed in my opinion. Nice work, thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Thanks @Stephen_Stanton - never thought of it that way - and yes title should reflect the sand ripples and not sunset!
Will try processing this that way
I assume that you have no further recommendations for the ripples itself ?

I assume that you have no further recommendations for the ripples itself ?

Karl, The ripples have some nice sands grains in their troughs and some subtle light and shadows to them. I would see if I could emphasize these elements just a touch more.

1 Like

Hi Karl. I think you got some great elements here and it’s real close to being 'right. Unlike others I think the bottom dark area has too much weight. I also think the blues in the sky are a bit oversaturated and too contrasty for the mood. Here are the suggested crop and color/tone modifications for the sky.

1 Like

This image really caught my eye. The lower part with the pointy sand patterns is very dynamic. I feel that there are competing subjects here, though - the sand and the sky. To me the photo is all about the sand and the sky draws my eye away from the wonderful patterns and textures of the sand.

2 Likes

Thanks @Igor_Doncov - I like the way you simplified the sky - will work on this

Hi Karl,

I think @Igor_Doncov crop balances the comp better. I’d experiment with both a muted colour version and something more vibrant. I think this one g CB oils work either way

Karl, I like how much of the ripples you included here, you were standing in a much different location than me, and got more of a radial pattern in the ripples, which I like. In terms of your original blend, I think the processing looks pretty good, except that the sky is darker than it’s reflection in the water, and in real life, reflections are always darker than skies, and our eyes are used to seeing it this way. That’s partly where @Igor_Doncov comment about the sky being too saturated is coming from. In Igor’s rework he balanced the luminosity better between sky and reflection.

I’m slightly surprised at the comments you are getting about the sky and ripples competing with each other. I actually think you have a pretty cohesive grand landscape composition where they work together okay. If you wanted to get picky, one might argue that you could either include a little more sky, or slightly less ripples to balance the comp a little more. Igor has also addressed that in his rework, by adjusting the ratio of sky to ripples.

That’s not to say that there isn’t a second image lurking here, an abstract that focuses more on the ripples, because I think you could extract that here too. You certainly have some good material to work with in this scene.

Thanks @Ed_McGuirk. This was made 3 years back - which is what made me bring you here last year!
I can certainly see why folks are torn. The main story is in the ripples of sand and one can easily make an intimate of these alone and I will
I like Igor’s version a lot - a nice balance, 3 layers, and good blending = thanks @Igor_Doncov
TK is certainly helping me a LOT and that is thanks to you!