Great Sand Dunes NP Sunset

Specific Feedback Requested

any and all welcome

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
70mm f/22 1/25 iso 100

1 Like

The light here is to die for, but I think the sky steals too much attention. Maybe a pano crop and a bit of a graduated filter to tame it? The texture in the dunes is so terrific then the texture smooths out to the hills behind. The lower clouds echo the color and the slight blue is a nice contrast, but above that and the purple it gets a little attention-grabby.

I think this is very eye-catching, but something seems a bit off. I think it might be the contrast between the foreground orange dunes and the background purplish dunes. Why are the foreground dunes warm-colored and the background dunes cool-colored. Composition-wise I could maybe see cropping off a lot of the blue sky leaving only the clouds closer to the dunes. A scroll-crop like this sort of makes the dune colors look more acceptable too.

I can sort of read your thoughts on this image. You wanted to have the red glow of the sun, the fg dunes, and the sunlit clouds all in the picture. It makes sense because they are all the best parts of the image. But the sunny upper cloud is too close to the frame and the one in the urc is too bright for being in a corner. And so you’re getting suggestions to eliminate the bright clouds. I downloaded and did just that but it does change the feel of the image. Those clouds do affect the image. So some compromise is required: good composition but less interesting or not so good composition but more interesting. That’s how I see it.

1 Like

THank you @Igor_Doncov @Kris_Smith @Tony_Kuyper for your comments and great suggestions. I reworked this-cropped and brought out more warmth in the BG dunes. Not sure why the were so cool as I had not altered the tint or temp on that area. I think

this version better reflects the actual scene from that perspective

3 Likes

I like that much better.

I’m a little late here Mario, but I think the crop does a lot to improve the image. It takes a good photo and makes it great by simplification. The texture in the foreground sand is a subtle highlight for me, and it seems to take a little bit more prominence in the crop.

The only other thing I would mention is that you have a number of dust spots on the sensor, particularly in the far upper left and also in the purple cloud.

@Craig_Moreau thanks for pointing out the dust. I have to remember to enlage to see them all. Tough out in the sand changing lenses.

I’m late coming in here, but I think the rework is a nice improvement. After seeing your crop, I think it’s helped by eliminating the white clouds. Not having those areas of brightness in the sky helps to keep the viewers attention on the dunes and mountains. And I think the rework crop is a rare case where reducing the cool/warm color contrast actually improves the image.

I am enjoying your reworked version Mario. The crop and warming the dunes make a big difference.