Dunes 2

Great Sand Dunes NP.

Specific Feedback Requested

comp and processing

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
140mm f/9 1/80 iso 160

2 Likes

I am liking the change from the original post in showcase. Well done.

This image has a very strong composition. That reversing dune in the center creates an interesting visual flow which nicely complements the strong diagonal lines in the scene. I like the deep shadow you added at the top, it adds some strong emotion to the image for me.

To me the center is the most important part of the image. I’d consider adding some more vignetting in the bottom 2 corners (but not as strong as at the top), and also dodging the highlights in the reversing dune in the center.

This is stunningly beautiful Mario. The sense of balance and promotion within the white frame is darn near perfect. I really have little to suggest at this time. I don’t know if that is blowing sand or light creeping onto the farthest dune but that is my favorite part of the composition. I also like the muted quality of these dunes. They are usually displayed with sharply bounded tonal shapes to get your attention. This is more subtle.

The background (center ground) dune looks a little blur relative to the foreground dune, but that totally works here. Am sort of used to seeing everything in-focus in landscape images that its easy to forget that sometimes selective focus has its own artistic purpose.

@Harley_Goldman @Igor_Doncov @Ed_McGuirk @Tony_Kuyper Thank you all for the comments. Ed, i did brush in some increase in highlight and did add some vignetting to the r/l lower corners. I do like this version.

1 Like

Wow.
I just love this photo…
Very nice and simple.

A real beauty, Mario. Beautifully composed - great light and line. Marvellous depth.