Sunset Seal

It was fairly late in the evening and some Harbor Seals were feeding on a school of small fish in the boat harbor at Valdez, Alaska. It was too early for Herring so I’m guessing the fish were Hooligan. The late light made for some nice reflections and side lighting on the seals when they popped their heads up. It was like Whack-a-Mole. You don’t know where they will pop up and they would go right back under after they got a breath of air.

Sony a6500, FE100200G @ 600 mm, ISO-250, f/6.3, 1/2000, hand held. Slight crop for composition.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@garyminish

1 Like

I just love that beaming eye and the swollen nostrils. the ripples too creat a nice effect.
I may back off sharpening a little.

Oh wow, Gary, this is really nice. The lighting is sweet, but so is the seal. I love your explanation of what it was like getting the shot. I can just see you playing Whack-a-Mole with your camera, not knowing where to aim it. You sure did a great job capturing this one.

Beautiful light and shadow in this shot. It makes me smile!