Harbor Seal's Trophy Salmon

I was shooting photos of Sea Lions at the Valdez Pink Salmon Hatchery and some Harbor Seals showed up and started fishing with the Sea Lions. This seal was doing better than most of the sea lions and caught himself a nice trophy fish!

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback is appreciated.

Technical Details

Sony a6500, SEL200600G @ 600 mm, ISO-250, f/6.3, 1.4000, hand held.

3 Likes

Hi Gary !
It is beautifully captured and technically solid !
I really like the expression of fish.
You may go less pano, if you like.

What a catch for both of you - that fish looks positively doomed. I know that’s their expression all the time, but it’s fitting here. The whiskers on the seal look so amazing in this shot and are engaging to me even though we have no eye contact. I agree with Jagdeep that you could go 4:5 ratio with no problem if you were so inclined.

Excellent work, Gary. Like others, I like the “expression” on the salmon. The detail in the fish scales and seal fur are amazing.

Nice shot Gary! I also like the apparent expression on the salmon. The detail and lighting are excellent! Well done!

Sushi! Wonderful image, Gary. Great catch.

All said above! The water droplets show the action. That fish does NOT look happy!

Very crisp image with excellent detail. Taking some off the right may help the comp, but like this one as presented…Jim

You must have been really pleased when you put this up on your monitor, Gary. Those droplets add to the action - superb!

Gary, that is a great capture for both you and the seal! You managed the exposure so well on that fish. I also love the expression of the fish. Excellent details. What a shot!