Sunset, Straits San Juan de Fuca (with Lens Flare Fix and Treetop/point Separation)

This is one of the iconic places to shoot the Orcas coming down the pass. This evening, no whales but got a lovely sunset as the golden orb sank over the Olympic Peninsula.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
D500, 24-120 @24mm, f/11, 1/40, ISO 160

Lots and lots of selections, reworks in ACR filters and TK8 Masks

This is a very dynamic scene, Chris. I can imagine it took a lot of work to get it looking like this. Nice job. I feel like the upper left where the sun is peaking through is a bit bright, but then…it was, and toning it down too much would take away from the overall scene and lighting. Cool shot and great work.

1 Like

I already toned it down quite a bit and you are right, more is not better. i did, however, find two lens flares in the middle of the channel and fixed accordingly.

1 Like

Lovely quiet scene with realistic-looking color on the dry grass. Good fix on the fens flares.

2 Likes

I agree Chris, you did a great job of handling the dynamic range in your processing. This looks like it took a lot of effort, but it worked out well for you, it looks very natural. I like how the bright strip of water in the center leads the eye along the top of the bushes, and towards the point. And your processing of how the light is kissing the tops of the bushes looks great too. I also like that your composition kept the sun of the frame, and concentrated on the interesting foreground elements. Overall, I like this image very much.

My only nitpick is the (near) merger of the bush with the shore of the point. Stepping forward to eliminate the merger may not have been an option if you didn’t want to lose the foreground grasses in the LRC. But it is still a minor distraction.

1 Like

I agree as to the bush/point issue but this was the only spot where I could get all the elements into one cohesive frame. As to processing, this image went in and out or TK and ACR at least eight times to get the best balance between the lights and darks, tonal contrasts in the grasses, trees, sky and far off islands. I generally try to expose for it all if possible, but the dynamic range involved in the RAW file was far too great. I didn’t have a tripod with me, so I used a semi-flat rock and my boot socks to cradle the camera for sharp focus at 1/40 sec. Bracketing under those circumstances didn’t seem feasible.

Thanks David, Diane, and Ed for your valuable feedback. My late brother lived in Friday Harbor on this island and I visited there frequently. My sister-in-law and my two nieces still live there, so more visits are in order. Next time with all my gear.

Any further I think will just muddy that part of the separation.

Hi Chris, this caught my eye because I was out there this past August. Stayed at Whiskey Creek Beach 4 days, then 4 days on San Juan Island. The only Orcas I saw was on the ferry from Anacortes to Friday Harbor, in spite of a whale watching tour and 2 kayak tours, ha ha. There were no Orca sightings during July and August, up to the 10th, from Lime Kiln Point State Park on San Juan Island, according to the ranger log there. Apparently, no salmon, no Orcas, but I loved my visit out there (from CT).
As for your photo, I love all the subdued sunset colors looking out to Vancouver Island. Great foreground with the trees and grasses, plus the interesting cloud formation makes for a nice upper frame.Hi Chris, this caught my eye because I was out there this past August. Stayed at Whiskey Creek Beach 4 days, then 4 days on

1 Like