Sycamore Trees

Donna, you and I are just about the same age and, surprise, surprise, asking the same questions about what it is to make art. I think the first thing we need to consider is what it is to be an artist. It isn’t something that we do but is, rather, a way of being , a way of seeing and engaging directly with the world. It is about learning to see below the surface of things, to get to the essence of our experience so that we have something of real value to share with others. In this regard, it isn’t so much about how to make a “good” picture better through technique but, as we look out into the world, to become clearer with what it is that is actually stirring us to create. Great art doesn’t arise from following the rules. Sure, knowing the rules isn’t a bad starting point but, let’s face it, if we all follow the same rules, we will very likely all be making the same pictures. So, what is your experience, what is your intention when you press the shutter? If we can’t answer that then we’ll be tinkering with post processing forever without ever actualizing our vision. I think it was F. Scott Fitzgerald who said, “Don’t write because you want to say something, write because you have something to say”. The challenge for any artist is to get to the core of our own experience and trust that as the basis for the art we make.

Whew, tall order but I’m up for the task. I think now that I’m comfortable with my camera and have been learning ACR & PS techniques for a couple of years, I’m ready to dive into the artistry of this genre. I have never considered myself an artist of any kind, but I think photography could bring some of that out in me. I sure do love being in nature with my camera. Thank you for taking your time to reply back and give me some words of wisdom. I have been to your profile page and enjoy your artistry.

I think that both of these are really wonderful and I’m glad that you brought your camera to photograph these. I like everything about these - the darker, grey background, how the trees are anchored in the image with that band of yellow grasses and reddish plants at the bottom. Very beautiful work!

Thank you, Tom. I’m very happy that you like this image. Thanks for taking the time to respond.