Sycamores in the fog

Rework - 1 Taking into account what @Igor_Doncov & @Diane_Miller mentioned I changed the crop to remove the distractions of the tree trunks being cut off.

Original

I took this photo the same day I took the photo I posted a couple of weeks ago called “Sycamores without their leaves”. I don’t think the composition is as good as that one, but this one shows off the white trunks & branches of these gorgeous trees. These photos have given me practice in processing fog.

Specific Feedback Requested

Is the fog processed well and any other suggestions you have.

Technical Details

Sony a7r v 24-70mm @ 70mm
f/10
ss 1/80
ISO 2000

1 Like

This has a lot of emotion to it and that’s an important element to an image in my opinion. The biggest issue I see is now the trees are cut off by the frame at the bottom. It gives the sense that the frame was added over the scene rather than the scene created within the frame. Just my opinion.

A gorgeous scene!! I agree with @Igor_Doncov about the bottom – I long to see just a little more of that tree on the right – although what we long for in a scene often just wasn’t practical to capture.

BUT, what I’m drawn to here is the left half, and the way the branches of the main tree reach toward the more mysterious view of the trees behind it. I hope you would have a chance to go back (in the magic fog, of course) and work that scene, with a little more canvas on the left, if possible. It could be amazing!

@Igor_Doncov @Diane_Miller I’m not surprised to hear your comments about the trunks being too cut off. I walked off the trail into a field of high grasses, throne bushes and other obstacles to get this shot. It was the best I could do then. It was getting fairly dark and I needed to pack my camera. Why I didn’t see this other way to crop the image is beyond me. I’m hoping my rework-1 has now made this a keeper. I also reprocessed it from the beginning hoping to improve it even more.

Thank you for your critiques. They made me go back and work harder to improve this image.

Donna,

Wonderful! The misty atmosphere really elevates this to a more emotional response as Igor eludes.

The starkness of the bare, white trunks is beautiful. I must agree with the others though about the trees being “truncated” (pun…) at the bottom of the frame. And so, kudos to the fantastic crop! Thanks for taking the time. You’ve nailed the repost.

That’s an awesome tree and you caught some magical conditions! Love this!

Lon

The new crop is just wonderful. The fog gives the atmoshere while the white trees stand out in an amazing way. Well done!

The new crop rocks! Well done, Donna.

Donna, I really like both of these images but I really love the 1st one (the rework). I think that it simplifies the scene nicely and makes the image more powerful and ‘focused’. Nice work!

@Lon_Overacker @Ola_Jovall @David_Bostock @Tom_Nevesely Thank you so much for your comments. It always amazes me how important the crop is and how easy it is to mess it up :). What I love about photography is, I’m always learning!

1 Like