The Sycamores

I thought it was so amazing how these two Sycamore trees had grown so close to each other. It was on a rather steep incline, so I’m not sure if that was why. But I think their limbs look so graceful, kind of growing in a circular motion around each other. As if they’re each making sure the other one has enough room and enough sun!

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D3400, 70mm, ISO 100, f/4.5, 1/800
Converted to black and white,

apani.hill
3 Likes

Vanessa, graceful is the word here, certainly. I think the B&W treatment enhances that grace quite nicely. Good eye for catching this.

1 Like

A wonderful find – good seeing! This is a sort of image where a very large DOF works well, or a focus stack. In many cases, soft focus in FG elements is considered to block the eye entering the image, or to be a distraction of some sort.

1 Like

Thanks @David_Bostock and @Diane_Miller for looking and your feedback. Yeah, I should have mentioned that I realized that I should have tried a smaller aperture to get the closer trunks of the trees more in focus. My settings were more for birds and other critters in the woods and this was kind of found! But I think I had time to change my settings! :wink:

Unlike birds, trees don’t usually fly away (unless you live in tornado alley).

I give you a lot of credit for envisioning this really unique perspective of these trees, it’s a very creative composition. And i love your cool toned B&W processing. But the DOF issueshere really hold the image back.

Please go back to this tree and shoot this again with f16, or even better focus stacked from a tripod. This interesting concept deserves the right technical execution.

1 Like

Thanks so much @Ed_McGuirk for your feedback! I totally wish I could do it over again, except that I’m 3,000 + miles away! :frowning:
This is from about 3 years ago when I was just getting my feet wet in photography.
I’m sure a scene like this exists in other places so I always have my eyes open! And I so agree that I needed a smaller aperture. But it’s good to know what to aim for, so thank you for that!

1 Like

This is such a powerful composition @Vanessa_Hill … Both perspective and cropping produced an intriguing result … A creative, expressive, and ultimately a very personal point of view. You found these trees amazing, and you managed to convey your excitement to us :slight_smile: Nicely done!

2 Likes

Thanks @Nikos for your comments and kind words, I’m glad you like the composition and think that it works. I appreciate it.

Boy, how beautiful these tree trunks and branches are. Graceful for sure, as others have said. It’s like they are dancing with each other. Great catch, looking up like this!

1 Like

Thanks @Mark_Muller glad you like them, despite the lack of perfection in the depth of field. Kind of why I converted it to black and white, hoping to detract from that problem and emphasize the composition and grace of the trees themselves! Thanks for looking!