Taos 67

Type of Critique Requested

• Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

To dark?

Technical Details

Hi Steve, thanks for sharing your image. What stood out immediately to me where the strong lines. I’m not sure if the objects are boulders, trees, or something else. The darkness surrounding the subject helps convey this feeling that the subject is huddled in fear. Quite an interesting image to study Steve.

1 Like

My first reaction was creepiness. Based on your title, I know that these are adobe walls, but the two uprights feel like legs. That makes the image seem like some weird human form. Based on your processing (dark), I think you probably were going for a dark vision. If so, you’ve succeeded.

1 Like

Do you really want me to reveal?
Let me know
Steve
ps you know I like everything dark!

Steve,

Quite an engaging and mysterious image, I quite like this. In fact, perhaps up there with one of my favorites from you.

I had not paid attention at all to the title until reading Bonnie’s remarks, so my first impression I thought either rock, or trees. The strong vignette which seems to be a signature of yours, works beautifully here. I’m really intrigued as well with the white specs on the left and LR dark area. Adds to the mystery.

Too dark? Not at all.

I think there is great artistic value with this one. Emotional response? It’s just a mystery to me, so I don’t have any strong emotional response to something I don’t understand. But most certainly I think well seen and creative.

Lon

Nope.

Love this image. If Rothko did b&w it might look like this.

It’s moody simply by the fact that it’s shadowy, dark (not too dark though) and quite mysterious. Creepy even. I have no idea what this is which is what makes it so intriguing to me. The sharp straight edge and the softer curved edges add to the mystery. This makes a great Abstract for sure. The fact that you would have to reveal what this actually is means that you nailed the abstract quality to this. Terrific use of light in this image, Steve.