Rough Path From A Dark Place - repost

This is the nominal rendering of the original capture

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

I like the image a lot, having spent a lot of time with it. It turned out to be one of those “… and what else they are …” photographs. Compositionally, I suppose the dark trees are too dark, but I want it to be about a rough path through darkness.
It is not a photograph that a viewer “gets” quickly, so maybe few will linger long enough to tease out its intent.

Creative direction

I found this old image a month or so ago and had a long “conversation” with it. Eventually, it convinced me that it wanted to be about the path and the darkness at both ends of it. “If you are in a dark place, find a path to take, even if it is rough, and you are not sure it will lead to something better.”

Specific Feedback

All feedback is warmly appreciated - aesthetic, conceptual, emotional, technical.

Technical Details

2009 Digital Rebel. Processed into monochrome recently using LR and PS techniques learned since then.

Description

I made this capture in 2009 on my first visit to City of Rocks in Idaho using an old DRebel. Like many scenes that gloomy day, the forms of the rocks entranced me.

Dick, I so relate to the message. The B & W says it so very well. I do not want to stay at the bottom of the tumble of rock. There must be somthing better up there. The way you dodged the rocks toward the top promises more. The hint of the distant mountain suggests an expanding vista if I just start climbing. The dark trees provide texture but urge me to move on and not let them slow me down. I have only one very small suggestion. The few small rocks at the base don’t add to the story for me. I would burn them down or crop them out of the frame. As I said, a very small point in a powerful picture. Thank you for this wonderful message. I hope you do more like this.

Thank you. Yep, those lower stones gotta go!

Barbara, it is interesting that you related to the photograph, and nobody else saw it worthy of comment. I think that goes to the need to make it at least momentarily attractive. To that end, I dodged the sky a bit, which implies a bit more hope than without. Also trimmed the bottom, burning a little.

Dick, I like the changes. Subtle, but they work.