Find Your Own Path

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

I Like the single tree growing in a curved pattern in stark contrast to the straight pine trees all around, seemingly finding its own path to the light.

Creative direction

This image is, for me, about finding your own way and not concerning yourself with what others are doing or what they may think. I want to show that it is ok to stand out and think or be different. I want to show that there is more than one way to “reach for the sky” or to achieve your goals.

Specific Feedback

Conceptual: I want to show the value of individuality.

Technical Details

Canon EOS R5
1/20 Sec @ f 11 77mm Iso 100

Two Image focus stack. (One image for the tree in the foreground and a second for the Subject Tree in the background.)

Description

I saw this tree driving down the dirt road to Nordhouse Dunes in Michigan. This twisted tree stood out in stark contrast to all the straight pine trees growing in the woods around it. I knew I had to pull over and create an image with this unique individual of a tree.

Hi Todd. I think the best landscape image are those that make us wonder about something, and yours is just like that. I saw exactly what you saw in this scene. I think it’s a beautiful observation.
If I need to think about points I’d try to do differently, I think it’s mostly the light. On one hand it works nicely to lead the view to the tree. On the other hand, it’s a bit harsh, and the surrounding trees are lit a tad too much (esp on the left). I wonder how it’d look with softer / warmer light.
In any case, I do think that is a nice image with a nice observation.

Hi Todd. I can see your vision for this image. It just says, “One of us is different.” I like it. That twisted tree stands out so much from the others, and yet, it is just like them. Just shaped a little differently.
After I read Tom’s comments, I looked at the image again, and I do think it would be interesting to see what happens if the lighting is gentler. The difference in shape is almost startling. You might wonder if it’s real. Having softer lighting might bring a new aspect. Still, I like it the way it is.

This is a beautiful image! Thanks for sharing. I love the comp and color and the movement in the greenery. It works for me. If it was me, I would consider removing the stump in the middle of the image. My eyes want to go to the tall curved tree, but keep coming back to the stump, For me it’s a distraction. Nice work!