Temper, temper! (+1 re-crop)

And with the opposite shoreline cropped out -

So this time of year we get tons of swans and other water birds massing on our bit of river. Many dozens of many types, but these guys are the most noticeable and boisterous at times. They aren’t called Trumpeter Swans for nothing - they are loud and very vocal, almost 24/7 since if I wake in the night I can almost always hear them. You can tell a Trumpeter from a Tundra swan by the edge of dark pink/orange on the lower bill. Tundras don’t have it and are slightly smaller.

Most of them spend their time down river from my yard where there is a long strip of an island. But now and then I notice them coming up and so I went out and got ready. I stood behind a waist-high shed and waited. Even though I was half-hidden, they didn’t come closer than mid channel, but with the 100-400 I could get them to reasonably fill the frame. At first, they swam peacefully and were pretty boring. Then these two exploded in action for about 5 seconds and then it was all over. This is mostly a lucky shot.

Specific Feedback Requested

So…it seems I have to be vigilant and ready for any crazy thing they might do. Looks like I should have cranked the shutter speed more. I had the ISO room for sure. Any other advice or thoughts from experienced bird photographers?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Handheld while leaning on a waist-high shed - kind of acted as cover although I think they were completely aware of me. I was maybe 30 feet from shore.

Lr for the 16:9 crop initial curves adjustment and some texture added. Then into Topaz Sharpen for some tightening up and then back to Lr for a little bit of a linear gradient.

@the.wire.smith

What a cool action shot, Kris. I think the shutter speed is just fine. I might crop the sky out and make this an extreme pano…just a thought.

You had me reaching for my bird “book” on my iPad…We have a lot of Tundra Swans up here and they have a yellow spot at the base of the dark beak…

Wonderful image.

Thanks, @David_Bostock - that’s actually the opposite shoreline. There is still some ice over that way and some snow. I thought about cropping, but wasn’t sure if a more environmental approach would be good. I put a second shot above. They roost on the ice overnight.

I actually do like the cropped version, Kris. It really focuses on the birds. Awesome.

1 Like

I like the cropped version; directs one’s attention to all the action going on. Excellent capture.

Thanks @Allen_Brooks & @David_Bostock - I should have known that the crop was the way to go.

1 Like

Thumbs up on the crop. Action well caught. Have you tried to pull more detail out of the brightest tones?

I haven’t tried to specifically. I think I might have started with a linear profile, but if not I can certainly reprocess. Running through Topaz Sharpen pulled detail where I needed it - I masked out a lot of the water. Any thoughts about good techniques for doing that?

I might try a luminosity mask on the whitest parts, then reduce the whites just a tad and add some clarity/structure…might work…

Hi Kristen
Very nice action and the 16 by 9 re-corp bring you right up into this interaction. I played with the wings in DXO, using a local control point and added their clear view and micro contrast, this did bring out more detail, but the wings started to look off white. I DXO I had a reading of 235 to 245 across the wings. (maybe next time setting a higher EV to help control the white?)
Peter

Well I’ve tried a few of the ideas here to pull detail in the wings and it just isn’t there to be pulled.

Insofar as the EV goes, I thought that the higher the more overexposed it becomes. I did the 1/3 of a stop +Exposure Compensation to make sure the whites were white, but maybe I should have left it as the meter thought it should be. Turns out I started with a Camera Natural profile which is the Camera Style I have set in my Wildlife shooting mode. Swans are hard.