Trumpeter Swan, Hatfield Lake

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

I think I’ve done a better job of exposure control on this than I did on my previous Great Egret.

But then again, it took you folks to point out that I’d overexposed the egret. So, does this one still want for better control?

Creative direction

This is just a practice image. I was purely interested in improving my in-camera exposure and post-processing of whites shot in direct sunlight. I had been watching the swan in hopes that it might take flight with nearby mallards – thus the high speed of the exposure. It didn’t, but I did have this opportunity to ‘repeat’ my previously-posted image of a Great Egret.

Specific Feedback

Hey folks, a while back I posted a Great Egret from Monterey County. I had trouble with the exposure, you may recall, and folks advised me to work on the hot spots.

This is an image I took yesterday, with just one purpose: better exposure control behind the lens.

I don’t think of this image as outstanding in any way – I merely had an opportunity to catch the swan stretching its wings in the sun, and thought I’d see if I could get better results than I did on the Great Egret.

Please advise whether I’ve adequately turned down the heat, so to speak. Maybe I need to not expose quite so far to the right on my 7D Mark II?

Technical Details

Canon 7D Mark II, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM. @400mm (640mm equiv.), 1/2500s, f/11, ISO 5000, 0 EV, ETTR.

In post-processing, the RAW file shows there were still warm spots ( across the bird, but they didn’t show in blinkies, nor does the RAW histogram top out - but I really pushed it to the edge; here’s my histogram, showing the LAB values at (probably) the hottest spot.

Processed first in DXO Prime, then in LR.
MET-LAB-Swan

Description

A Trumpeter swan flexed its wings on a local lake. Nothing remarkable, but an opportunity to see if I could improve exposure control on whites in direct sunlight, through field-and post-techniques. Compare with my recently-posted image of a Great Egret in similar pose and conditions.

Hi Michael,

I did not see your first image, but I think this one represents a wonderful exposure for a bright sunny day. The Egret looks white without being blown out and the whites are reflective of the bright sun.

Cheers,
David

Thanks, David. Would it have been better for me to post the color image for folks to evaluate the exposure of the white, or does the B&W work well enough? - MET

Hi Michael, I guess it depends on if you plan on posting/printing the color version…Certainly with color there are three channels, any one of them could be blown in the highlights, and that might be hidden in the B&W. So, for me the histogram is my friend, both in camera and in post processing. If you look at the histogram for each channel in your color version you should be able to tell if anything is blown. Those exposure warning blinkings are also quite valuable. I always adjust exposure in post so that there are no blinking exposure warnings during post processing…hope that helps.

Cheers,
David

Hi David, actually, the only reason I posted it here was to get feedback – I’m not impressed with the image, overall, and wouldn’t print it or post it to show. But you’ve just taught me the value of showing the 3-channel histo on questions like this. It shoulda been obvious to me from the beginning – and besides, I always rely on my color histogram – in-camera and during post-processing. Normally I use the histo with three channels instead of LAB values. So, here it is, in case it might cause you to revise your critique (let me know if you’d like to see the image in color):

Thanks for your feedback, David.

FWIW, I like the image, especially in B&W. I should let you know that I am red/green color blind, so B&W is my favorite medium for photography. If this image were mine, I would consider cropping some of the bottom area off…I know you like to keep to standard image sizes, but maybe there’s room for getting the bird a bit lower in the frame.

Thanks for the color histogram. It shows no blown highlights, and possibly a bit of dark/blacks too dark (the blue triangle in the upper left corner). Probably the dark reflections in the mid left water. Nothing to worry about.

I don’t think you should knock the image…it’s a good bird activity shot.

Cheers,
David

Thanks, David. My mentor is red/green color blind, too. He does landscapes and abstracts, yet nearly all his work is in color – and really spectacular colors at that. I’m always flummoxed at how he can do it, because I can’t count on him for color advice!

As the years go by, I find myself more and more drawn to monochrome for my own work. Nowadays, most of my favorite images are B&W.

1 Like

Hi Micheal
The exposure look spot on. There is good feather detail and contrast. As for the overall look, I think you explore cropping the shot. Nice work.
Peter

Great job on the whites in this one, Michael. It looks like you’ve dialed it in very well. Even with the 7Dii, you should be able to bring the histogram all the way to the right, since it’s based on a jpeg version of the image.

Hi Peter and Dennis, my thanks to you both for your feedback. I’ve practiced ETTR for a good while now, but I still don’t always trust my judgement on processing those high whites. I always appreciate the dispassionate eyes of NPN members. Best to you both – Michael