The Anti-ICM

No, not against ICM’s - hardly. As you know I’m a big fan. What I mean by “anti-ICM” is that this image is literally the opposite technique of ICM. The subject is moving, NOT the camera. And for anyone who’s been shooting moving water, knows the results can be just as abstract as ICM, and just as fun.

This was captured on the Merced river with my butt parked on the rocky shore, camera fixed on the tripod… light changing, colors moving, the magical sound of the river and just watching life go by.

Specific Feedback Requested

Thank you for any and all feedback and comments. Always welcome.

Technical Details

Nikon D800E 28-300mm @125mm f/16 1/4s iso50, polarizer

5 Likes

I like it, just puzzled about the colour of the water?

What a beautiful image! Great colors, lines and patterns. One idea could be to just darken a tad the bright ULC, but not to much because I like your choice to make it the brightest part of the image.

Sunny spring greens, pine forest and granite cliffs late in day, river in shadow. More later when back at pc. Thanks for the comment.

I love the idea of this capture, Lon, "just watching life go by. . . ". Your image reflects this feeling through the movement and energy. The smooth flow and varied colors are quite soothing, at least for me.

Lon, thank you for posting this abstract “anti-ICM” image. At first glance, I thought the scene was of grass dancing in the wind but not see it is of flowing water. Fantastic motion! As @Ola_Jovall suggested, perhaps darkening the ULC area may keep the eye inside the frame a bit more. Keep experimenting and having fun!

Thank you for the comments so far, I really appreciate it! Thank you @Alfredo_Mora , @linda_mellor , @tom2m and @Ola_Jovall for taking the time.

While admitedly with an abstract it’s easy to take liberties on color, hue and saturation. But for sure, it’s all based on what was actually present at the scene. Many factors going in to the colors here including, but not limited to: reflected light from far shore, treeline and mountains, hot light on that shoreline AND the colors transparent IN and below the water’s surface - ie. what is sceen a the bottom - which happens to be numersous shades of green moss from light to dark growing on the rocky bottom.

Below is an unprocessed wider view from the same vantage point; although the op was pointed a little more up river than this one. But you can see the washed out brightness of the far shore (which BTW, thank you all for the tip on burning down that upper corner - good call.). You can see hints or red/brown reflected from the trunks of the cedar and other pines and the limey greens both reflected, and also seen at the bottom of the river in the non-refelction areas. All in all, LOTs of color and hues going on. ADD to that a longer exposure, and the beauty of that, colors and hues run together - and what happens when colors mix together… they create new colors! (hey, I just stumbled upon a reason why ICM’s are often so colorful!)

I hope this helps!

1 Like

Thanks, very informative :blush:

It sounds like a wonderful place to sit and relax, Lon. A very nice abstract image allowing nature to do the motions rather than the camera, which is a wonderful technique that I keep forgetting too. Nice lines and shapes in this lovely image.

1 Like

Ah, ISM - Intentional Subject Movement. :slightly_smiling_face:

Terrific image, Lon. I really like the flow and the mix of colors. Well done. I have several similar shots from Zion National Park. What fun.

Cheers,
David

Great image Lon. I really appreciate the details on the image and including the raw, uncrossed image. Nice!

1 Like