You Name It ICM

Cropped and processed separately (these are both crops from the original frame)

… or, Untitled. I supposed I could have given this a title, but also didn’t want to persuade any reactions. Yeah, I know it’s not supposed to matter what the source image is; after all we’re looking at resulting images that work, or don’t work so well.

For now I don’t want to say anything about this image; I would first like to get reactions and impressions. Specifically, what does this look like to you and less importantly, from what or where did it originate?

My only help is that this did NOT come from last month’s trip to Sonora Pass; no granite, no junipers involved here. But that’s it.

Specific Feedback Requested

Specifically looking to learn what you “see” in this image.

Which do you prefer and why?

And of course any other feedback, comments or suggestions - always welcome

Technical Details

Nikon D700, 16-85mm @85mm (effectively 127mm) f/9 1/4s @iso 160

Single image, cropped from original

1 Like

Ok, Lon, my first reaction is; ok what is it? Next thought was I like the muted palette of colors, detail and diagonal lines. It feels soft and breeze. Like a place I would like to be lost in thought. I have no clue what it is, but the more I stare at it the more I don’t care. I do prefer the first image, has more room for me to roam in. Very nicely done.

Another tremendous image, Lon. This looks like water with a reflection. No idea if I’m even close on this but that’s what I see. I like both images but I’m missing the greens in the LLC on the cropped version even though I like the cropped version better maybe because I tend to prefer tighter aspect ratios. The colrs in these are very complimentary. I would title these, “Go with the flow.” Can’t wait to find out what this actually is.

I agree with David - it looks like flowing water with a reflection to me. Except that then I’m confused by the lack of detail in the blue area at the top - why is that not “moving” as well? I very much prefer the first crop because of the greenish-blue hues in the LLC. I love the gently sloping lines and the colors are very calming. Beautiful.

I think the blue at the top is sky. Maybe a grassy cliff or some kind of cliff against a backdrop of sky?

I have no clue what it is and don’t need to know – aside from stealing ideas of things to try the technique on! I prefer the first because of a bit more complexity, but the simpler structure doesn’t quite have an immediate appeal for me compared to many recent ones you have posted.

They both have their appeal. I like the soft look of the 2nd one but the greens in the bottom left of the first one win me over.
At first glance this looks like a shot I would take of the of the sea. The brown streaks look like the seaweed we are currently being swamped with, but the bright blue makes me think that it might be a shot of some tree tops against the sky. Super creative. Looking forward to the reveal.

Lon, what I love about these images is they engage my imagination. I have no idea what the original scene was but that is secondary to the colors and patterns you have captured here. Well done!

1 Like

Thank you all for your comments and observations. @linda_mellor , @David_Haynes , @thedigitaljeanie , @David_Bostock , @Diane_Miller , @AndreDonawa and @Alfredo_Mora

Jeanie, thanks for the comments. Yeah, that blue area wasn’t moving because it was a blank wall! I further explained in my new post, same subject, different presentation.
I’m glad and it seems that several of you liked the green colors in the LL - I actually worked on those actually to tone them down and even things out; they were too dark and so I played with those colors in that area - so glad to know they worked in the image.

David, you win! I’m glad that at least one person came away with blue sky as the impression - which is the impression I got when I turned the vertical image on it’s side!

ok, you get to tie with David. Yeah, I thought of a seascape as well with some sort of vegetation blurring on the cliff tops with the blue sky as a backdrop.

So I reveal the source in the image I just posted. Same subject, slightly different presentation, so I chose to make a new post.

Thanks again!

I should have thought about a vertical shot being presented horizontally. I would have said tree/bark if it had been presented vertically. Nicely done, sir.