The Beeches

This is a row of beech trees between a road and sidewalk, there’s a small stand of trees next to the sidewalk going into a small patch of field. I tried to make it look like you’re walking on a path in the middle of the woods.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D3400, ISO 100, f/6.3, 90mm, 1/6, twisted lens while pressing shutter
adjusted exposure slightly in post

apani.hill
2 Likes

Really pretty, @Vanessa_Hill. The colors are great, as is the movement. Looks like a painting.

1 Like

I really like ICM images, and this is a good one. As @Mark_Muller says, it is like a painting. To come up with any ideas, what I can think of is to check if increasing the impact of the tree trunks could increase the quality of the image. The lighter ones could then be brigthened a tad, and the darker ones darkened.

1 Like

Thanks @Mark_Muller , I’m glad you think it works as I wasn’t quite sure. It takes so many tries and then when I look at them all some are obvious to delete but then there’s the subtle ones that I’m never quite sure of!

Hi @Ola_Jovall I’ll have to see if I can do that. Or even look at my other photos to see if I achieved that, because I usually try different settings with one scene. Thanks for your feedback and comments. I’m glad you like it!

Yes! I haven’t had much luck with the twisting of the camera technique. But it turned out beautifully here. I don’t suppose you remember how far you twisted? Maybe a quarter turn or so, or even half?

1 Like

Hi @Mark_Muller I think I do remember. I started at 300mm and focused on the closest tree trunk and branches in the center and now it’s at 90mm so it was probably at least a half turn I would guess… hope that helps!

1 Like

Vanessa, glad you kept the branches identifiable. Great ICM. Like the diagonal across the bottom as well as the color palette. I wonder if a touch more contrast would pop this more.

1 Like

This ICM has a lot vitality and energy in it Vanessa, it’s my favorite ICM that I have seen from you/ I like how you have the grey tree trunks and green leaves in the LLC to help provide some framing and structure to the image. The color contrast between green and yellow really helps make the image work.

1 Like

Thanks @Mario_Cornacchione ! I’ll have to try that, thanks for the feedback.

Thanks for the compliment @Ed_McGuirk . I’m glad you like it and think it works.

1 Like

I find the image to be very painterly and well done. The contrast between the two dominant colors is very nice and certainly conveys the feeling of Autumn. Perhaps the branch in the top center of the frame is a bit distracting but otherwise I think it is very nice.

1 Like

Thank you for looking and your feedback @DvirBarkay . Also, welcome to NPN! I’m sure you’ll love the community. Funny about the branch, if you mean the one that is curved I actually had it there on purpose, I thought it led the viewer into the scene, but it’s good to get your viewpoint! Thanks!

1 Like

Thank you for welcoming me! I used to spend a lot of time on photography forums when I first started my photography some years back and I really look forward to doing that again! Regarding the branch, of course it is very subjective and I am sure many will disagree with me. For me, I feel there is really nice continuity of texture and colors at the top and the branch distracts a bit from that.