Autumn in the Woods

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

A solitary autumn tree standing in a mostly green forest is most always and eye-grabber most always begging to be photographed. But at the same time a scene that’s been done a gazillion times… and so had to pull out the ICM and try to create something not so ordinary.

As with many of my ICM’s, I try and combine multiple movements to create different effects. This one starts with a vertical motion and a quick horizontal/diagonal motion just before the shutter closes. I like the “whispiness” of that semi-diagonal trailing motion.

Specific Feedback

All comments, first impressions and suggestions are welcome. As with most abstracts, the options and alternatives are seemingly limitless.

Of course I’m interested to know if this works or not for anyone. Secondly the processing. I actually uploaded my first version and thought it was too warm, so I reworked with a slightly cooler WB which I like better as some blues were brought out. What do you think of the colors and processing in general?

Technical Details

Nikon D800E, 28-300mm @50mm, f/16 1/4s iso 100, probably CPL. ICM single frame.

2 Likes

It’s not just an abstract. It’s a forest in a storm at a beginning fire. An image with realistic movements that sets ones mind at work, to find out what it is.

1 Like

I get the same feel Ben does of storm and fire, though the yellow’s a bit off for fire. Your strong motion creates striations that remind me of rock walls, though I’ve never seen sedimentary rocks that color. It’s an interesting abstract and something I could definitely see on the wall.

Wonderful as always Lon! It’s so easy to oversaturate the yellows. The cooler tones compliment the warm tones of the aspen. The square crop is a winner as well.

The standout elements to me include the motion and the optical illusion. Let me explain. When I first brought up your image, my eyes were playing tricks on me. At first, I saw the aspen in front of the subtle darker trunks. Then when my eyes shifted, I saw the aspen behind those same tree trunks. Fanstastic!

Thank you so much @Ben_van_der_Sande , @Dennis_Plank and @Alfredo_Mora for your comments, kind words and observations.

Awesome! That puts a whole new perspective on this. Thanks Alfredo!