Aspens on a Whim

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was captured at the same time of my Summer Aspen image posted just now in Landscape. As I mentioned there, I find it interesting if not enlightening to see what “unseen” potential lies within any given scene. Most often it’s the light and colors that have great potential for a successful ICM as well as the main structure like tree trunks and branches.

Specific Feedback

I know this isn’t the most dynamic or engaging ICM, but I like the whimsical nature of the branches and was happy to carry the same glow that was in the original image.

As always your feedback and suggestions welcome. How does the WB look with the greens/yellows? All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Nikon D800E, 28-300mm @78mm, f/11 1/4s iso 200, single frame handheld ICM

I think I prefer this over the realistic version. I actually don’t look at this as aspens, or even trees. Just beautiful flowing lines that repeat. I guess you could make out trees here if you wanted to.

I like this as an abstract, Lon. You have completely removed the idea of a forest and created a wonderful image that’s all about light and texture. I’m curious about whether you’ve played with rotating this in various orientations. I think you’d completely change the feel and perception by doing so. Washed out a bit, this would make an incredible stationery texture.

Lon, this is so well done! I have to disagree with you about this not being an engaging ICM abstract image. This is one that offers more to the viewer after the initial cursory glance. The gentle lines, color, and subtle shifts in light and tonal values are great. If you hadn’t revealed the subject was aspen trees, I would have assumed this was a bamboo forest. I love the short “brush” strokes combined with the whimsical lines of the trees. Great job Lon!