Morning Aspens

We visited this aspen grove on David & Jennifer’s recent Colorado workshop. It was early-mid morning and the light through the leaves was just incredible. Turning my back to the sun, though, I saw these beautiful trunks front-lit, and the ground around them covered with fallen leaves. I made a few frames using various ICM movements, and this one turned out well. The abundant fallen leaves made that interesting texture “between” the trees.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments welcome. I’m pretty happy with this (it’s already benefited from critique by David K. in our workshop).

Technical Details

a7r3, 31mm, f/16, 0.3s, ISO 100, polarizer, hand held.

2 Likes

This looks great Bonnie! Beautiful colors from the aspens and grass and the composition looks nice and balanced.

1 Like

Beautiful ICM image Bonnie! Aspens make great subjects for introducing motion. The whole scene has a canvas quality to it. By that I mean the texture created by the motion. Nicely balanced image too.

Very nice!! The trunks glow against the ground and the crosshatch pattern gives it a unique texture-like effect.

Well done Bonnie! Excellent ICM. I especially like the “braided” look of the leaves contrasted with the classic verticals of the aspen trunks. I expect the movement was not just a vertical one - and the results are quite pleasing.

As the others mentioned, I too like the texture resulting in this ICM.

And this is a great example of how one can expand their photo opportunities. What I means is that a bright, front-lit apsen scene like this - I would very likely never photograph in a standard way - too harsh and I much prefer back-lit fall color. But here, you have the freedom and opportunity to capture something wonderful where otherwise you might pass up.

Lon

Thanks, @Glenn_Tunaley, @Alfredo_Mora, @Diane_Miller, and @Lon_Overacker.

You’re right, Lon - I wiggled the camera back and forth as I panned up. And you’re right about the front light; ICM softens it so you can do a front-lit scene and get away with it. Of course the back-lit leaves were over-the-top gorgeous.

Beautiful, painterly quality to this one, Bonnie. The whole thing looks like a painting that has been painted on heavy matte paper. The wiggle side to side are really what makes this work for me. The colors are nice and soft. Even the tree trunks don’t appear too bright. Looks like you had good light to work with.

2 Likes