The Descent from Cory Mountain

Took this photo the other day during a descent of Cory Mountain, in Banff NP. Opted to process this into a pretty limited colour palate. A large part of what made me stop and take the picture was the backlighting of the trees as the sun briefly emerged from the clouds, which the camera didn’t pick up to my liking, so plenty of dodging and burning was required here. Not sure yet if it worked out. Let me know what you guys think.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Sony A7ii, CV 15mm, f/8 ISO 100, single image handheld.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Nice shot Filip, a lot of great atmosphere and drama and I love the river leading into the background. I think I would personally try and straighten out the trees and adjust the white balance to a little more blue and the tint a little less green.

Thanks for your input! Looking at it again, you’re right about the green yellow tint, it’s too much. I fixed the lens distortion too, and it does look better in one sense, though I feel like it brings to light the fact that the foreground is a bit messy and disorganized. Ahh well, a good learning experience!

1 Like

Filip,

This is pretty wild - quite an excellent perspective. I like this quite a lot! The fog and clouds and the way the trees and land are situation really makes this in to like a vortex of some sort; everything being drawn to the center. Just a cool effect the way you managed to capture this.

I think the distortion in the original actually helps accentuate the foreground and the wild point of view. So I’m kinda torn on whether or not it’s better corrected, or not. I do like your white balance correction. The original was just a little off - but hard to put a finger on it; but Blake got it.

In the end, I do think the repost is better presented. Just a cool image.

Lon

My preference would be the reworked image but without correction of the distortion, because, as Lon writes: “(It) actually helps accentuate the foreground and the wild point of view.”

Thank you for your replies @Jim_Gavin and @Lon_Overacker. I think I’ll keep the wide angle distortion after all!