The first one of the New Year + RP

And an additional touch described below.

I had been trying to get out to shoot a first frame of the year and got completely swamped by the last stages of setting up a new computer. I finally got things working and was heading into the kitchen to start dinner when I saw the sunset. It isn’t spectacular by any standards but was at least something to shoot.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon R5, EF 70-200 f/4 at 173, ISO 1600, f/5.6, 1/320, handheld in haste. In LR only tweaked Exposure down a bit and Vibrance up a bit and lowered the WB a little from Daylight to bring out more blue. Into PS to TRY NR, but Topaz told me I needed to upgrade my license to use the new version. Tried to do that and download but then it told me it couldn’t find the file. So here it is just out of LR with no NR. Slight crop from both sides. I’ll try do get Topaz working in the morning.

Wishing everybody a wonderful New Year!

3 Likes

Topaz DeNoise mysteriously works today – no clue why. Just for something to start putting the new computer through its paces and searching for the next pothole, I did a Topaz denoise on this and then used a TK Lights 3 to darken the lightest part of the sky. I’m loving the TK masking and kicking myself for not getting into it years ago! RP above.

1 Like

Glad you got out and got stuff working (I sent you an email about the new lappy). Hate to say it, but I prefer the first one with the brighter sky. It looks more natural to my eye. And it sort of sparkles more as a result.

Lovely first capture of the year… and thank you for all the editing specs. Being new here I have to remember to take better notes so I can include when I post. I find editing info valuable - more so than camera specs… not sure why. Anyways I am a big TK fan still working my way around the newish release.

Fantastic colors. I think the silhouetted trees work nicely as the foreground. I tend to agree with Kristen about preferring the first version.

Good job on getting out and grabbing a first of the year image; it will likely be a little before I can do the same. Lovely forms those branches make against that beautiful sky.

Thanks guys! Seeing the two side by side, I have to agree with @Kris and @Dean – I think I went too far dulling down the sky.

@Amy, I see my specs in Lightroom for both the raw file and a PS edit. Kris has posted a way to cut and paste it but I can’t remember how she does it. (Hint, hint…)

Hint promptly taken.

According to the googles for a Mac it is -
he main control panel of the snipping tool on Mac can be accessed using the shortcut : Shift, Command, 5 , but you can also use : Shift, Command, and 3 to take a quick screenshot of the whole of Mac screen or use the shortcut : Shift, Command, and 4 to capture just a selection of your Mac screen.

Nice one, Diane. The top version works better for me. The tree structure looks good in silhouette against that nice sky.

Thanks, @Kris_Smith. What confused me is that yours looks different from what I see, but maybe I’m looking in the wrong place, or there are different ways to organize that screen, or it’s a Windows/Mac difference? In the top left of the LR screen I see this – captured with Cmd-Shift-4. That is what I’m looking at when I just type in the information. (It’s of limited relevance for a lot of posts but this is an easier way to put it in.)

Screen Shot 2022-01-03 at 10.04.12 AM

Yup, I get that, too when I hit I for information when in Lightroom.

What I’m cutting and pasting is from the Metadata section in the Library. I’ve customized it like you can now and so it includes exposure and camera setting info.

The Default Metadata option can be customized by clicking the customize button on the bottom -

It took me a few tries to get all the info in the fewest lines.

Oh. Metadata panel. Duh… :bulb:

Thanks!

1 Like

Some folks may consider them cliche, but I’m a a sucker for silhouettes. I like that you kept the sky colors lower in saturation, it creates a more gentle mood.

Another vote for the brighter sky in the first image.