The Lake and the lake

From a nice October morning along Lake Superior. It is a relatively rare phenomena that the waves are just the right height to leave these small pools along the shore. They tend to last for about 20 seconds before being sucked back into the sand. I was attempting to capture the lake and a bit of the trees in the reflection. The trees are close to peak color but also get a lot of their color from the early sunlight.

Specific Feedback Requested

I am usually more concerned with overall composition rather than technical details. As I was posting this i was wondering about what the best angle is for a reflection. I wanted to capture a slice of the tree line in the water. Always feels like a challenge to capture the all the elements that might show up in a reflection.

Technical Details

Shot with a Sony a7. Tamron 17-24mm. 25mm 1/200 f9 ISO800 Edited in Lightroom.

Hey Cameron,

I know you said you aren’t as interested in technical details, but the two most glaringly obvious things I noticed right off the back are that it has a very warm color cast, which looks great when cooled down, and also the background is very out of focus. It wouldn’t bother me if the background wasn’t so prominent, but everything leads to it so it feels like a key part of the composition, meaning I think it needs to be sharp.

Composition wise I think it works pretty well, however the cliffside reflecting in the pool really draws my eye towards the right edge. I think I would have positioned myself differently to avoid that. You could have moved in closer to only reflect the sky so that it wouldn’t pull the eye so much.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Hi Eric. Thank you for the advice. Thanks for doing the guest critique.

1 Like