Reflection Lake

Mount Rainier National Park
Late August at one of my favorite places.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any criticism is appreciated.
I think this was a 2 image focus stack.

Technical Details

Nikon D850
Nikon 14-24nn f/2.8 lens

Shot at:
20mm
1/40 sec.
f/10
ISO 100

3 Likes

Oh this is superb. The way you got the mountain framed by the grasses and the log pointing the way, really nice. The grasses themselves sparkle a little in the sun and aren’t over-saturated, hard to do with green sometimes. I see a little haloing over the mountains and tree line, maybe from a sky selection and adjustment. A touch of chromatic aberration by the snow, too, but that’s kind of minor. Decent sharpness and that touch of mist is really something. I’d see if I could clone out or tone down the rock or sand in the water toward the left. It’s a bit of an eye-grabber in an otherwise balanced and well chosen scene. Maybe bring the shadows on the mountain down a little, too, so they are more harmonious with the shadow in the trees. Quite striking and bold.

Thanks Kristen, I greatly appreciate your opinion. I agree with you on all accounts.
It’s always good to see if what I think should be adjusted vs. what another photographers eye confirms what should or shouldn’t be adjusted. I will take a look in a day or two with fresh eyes to make some adjustment.

Great shot Chris. Nothing wrong with a clear blue sky in this image! The composition is perfectly balanced, very interesting journey for the eye along the lines, and the warm mist on the far right adds a nice feeling of reassurance of the coming day. The fan shaped grasses in the immediate foreground are a solid anchor, inviting the eye into the images. I also like the fact that the highlights aren’t blown out; a pet peeve of mine about my own work. I hate it when that happens! :slight_smile: Just an outstanding study in composition. Cheers!

WB feels just a tad too warm (yellowish shadows) and the composition would really be nice without that log in the water. I really dislike overly obvious lines, it may just be personal taste but I think subtle compositional elements are always easier to enjoy. They are felt but not noticed. Probably something you couldn’t/wouldn’t want to remove in the field but I would recommend cloning it out now.

Chris,

Wow, what a stunning landscape image! This is an outstanding composition; a classic near/far set up. I even like the log!

I think Kris has a more descerning eye than me as I can’t find any issues with processing. The light, color, contrast and saturation are beautiful - right up there with how I like to present my own images - processed with just enough pop (color/sat, etc.), but not so much that it enters the not believable status. This is beautiful.

Lon

I like the mist on the water a lot. I agree a bit with @Eric_Bennett on the comp here - I think it’s a bit too obvious/contrived for my tastes as well, but I think we might be sole dissenters here on that! I also agree with Eric that the WB is a tad warm, but the white snow on the peaks tells me I might be wrong about it. Anyways, nice work!

This is a really well thought out composition and you deserve kudos for that. The mound mimics the mountain and is placed in front of the mountain to make sure the viewer is aware of the intention. The mountain is reflected in the water which adds another arc to the overall composition. The log is well centered in the inlet which assures that nothing overlaps it and that shapes don’t ‘touch’ each other. It’s brown color makes it stand out from all the surrounding coolness. And of course you have the light, dark, light, dark layers going from bottom to top. So it’s constructed with a great deal of thought. The scene also has a great deal of emotional impact.

I do understand Eric’s point of view, I think. The comparison would be life with all of its complexity versus a stage where all the characters have been told to stand for optimal presentation for the audience. It’s an interesting thought and worth contemplating.

PS. I like the log. If you pretend it’s not there the image becomes weaker because it has a presence. A positive presence to my way of thinking.