Reflection Lakes Sunup

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Interested in thoughts on straightening up trees, that lean due to wide angle lenses? I did some warping to straighten them up, but I’ve noticed a number of pros that leave them leaning. Is there a right and wrong way in your opinion??

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All comments welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Single shot…17mm Tilt-shift.

Also scaled the mountain higher a small amount…again, due to the effect that a wide angle lens has on distant objects.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
4 Likes

Beautiful, Doug! This is real nice. The only suggestion I have is to clone out those two dark spots left, and below, Mt. Rainier’s reflection.

Processing and comp work very well. Nicely done!
-P

Hi Preston. Are you referring to the small sticks coming up out of the water next to the log?

What a lovely picture. And you even got a nice cloud to go with that mountain. I wouldn’t warp any trees that haven’t been distorted by the lens. Given how far they are in this picture I think they may be naturally leaning that way?

Yes.

Also, I agree with Igor regarding leaving the trees as they are. In fact, I didn’t even notice it.
–P

Other than removing the sticks, I would not change anything. This is a great image. Thanks for sharing.

Doug, I like this a lot. There’s a lot going on in the image, but it is composed well and is beautiful. I agree with @Preston_Birdwell’s suggestion to get rid of the dark marks on the left under the mountain reflection as they are distracting. Mt. Rainier NP has great wildflowers, and yours in the foreground enhance the image nicely. Wonderful image.

Doug; I’ve never been to Mt Rainier in wildflower season but did get to Paradise Lake in the late fall once and was treated to some ice on the surface. A magical place and your image makes me want to go there in the spring or summer. Count me in on making the dark spots in the reflection go away but everything else is top notch.>=))>

Beautiful! I’d just want the foreground flowers to be bigger. Maybe try some warping?

Beautiful scene. I really like the composition, with the flowers, reflection, then mountain, and to top it off the wispy clouds. Gives this a an uplifting mood, as my eye travels up the frame.

I have a bit of OCD when it comes to straightening things warped by wide angle lenses, so I would vote for “unwarping” the trees. They look really odd to me. Minor detail, though.

1 Like

Really nice image with strong foreground midground and background elements. Love that wispy cloud dancing in the wind. Exposure looks good and the colors look good. I think everything lined up right down the middle works well for this image. The log in the water is not a distraction for me and makes the image look more real. Great find Doug!

I’m with Bonnie on unwarping. I think you can leave as is to allow lens characteristics to remain, or correct them fir realistism, but this seems over corrected with the trees splaying out instead of in. It’s an interesting effect, and there’s nothing wrong with doing that, but it feels inconsistent with the mood conveyed by the rest of the scene.

Great image by the way!
ML

Thank you all. Love your comments. Always learn a ton.

This is a really nice image Doug, the composition looks very well thought out and is nicely balanced. I actually like having the log in the scene. It’s that one small thing that keeps an otherwise symmetrical composition from being too static.

The processing overall looks good, but I do have one small nit with color. The green/yellow of the grass near the flowers looks really nice in terms of color and saturation. but the greens of the trees on the far shore look too cool, especially relative to the greens in the grass (both the grass and the trees are in shade I think). I like the warmer greens of the grass, but feel like the trees should be slightly warmer to be consistent.

I agree with Bonnie and Marylynne on straightening the trees. To me, it’s very obvious that they are leaning outward, and it is distracting to me. Otherwise, it’s absolutely gorgeous. I would leave that log down there in the water, too. Like Ed, to me it keeps it looking natural.
Lovely!!!

It’s an absolutely beautiful image, Doug. Your composition is very strong and it has so many wonderful elements. My only nit is that in the largest size, the mountain itself seems a little soft and might could use some sharpening.