The Magical Forest

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

It feels like magic. I used a old vintage lens that is known for creating painterly bokeh. I love the abstraction and the light.

Creative direction

I looking to provoke the feeling of peacefulness and wonder that a magical forest creates

Specific Feedback

I am looking for aesthetic and emotional feedback.

Technical Details

OM-1, 1/125, iso 400, HELIOS 44m-4 lens

Description

I was trying out my new used Helios lens in the woods at my home.

Ilene, I sense that peacefulness in the play of colors. The cool greens and the warmer greens complement each other. The brown of the large tree and the patches of blue in the upper right corner add interest to the varied shades of green. I am distracted by the patches of white light on the right side of the frame. I wonder if cropping along the right side just to the left of the lower white patch strengthens the tranquility. It would change it from a square crop to a vertical one. That would emphasize the nice vertical line of the large tree. This is, indeed, an image to treasure.

thanks I tried your crop and I like it. I also added a little vibrance to the image…

1 Like

I am glad you found it helpful.

Ilene, I think looking up in the trees and seeing the light shine through is certainly magical. I think you captured that feeling of wonder! Adding vibrance is a good idea but I would take it down to somewhere between your original and the repost. This is a lovely, soft image!

I think you are correct…will try and repost.