The Needle's Eye

Hello everyone!
I have played with focus stacking a little in the past but have never been very successful with it. I decided to give it another try with this image in order to try and get something a little different from this popular location. I am looking for any and all feedback, but any advice on focus stacking would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!!

What technical feedback would you like if any?

any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
This is a blend of three images

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Don’t have any advice on FS cause I dont know how. I like the comp but wish the tree was a little different tone than the BG rock just to separate it a little. Other than taht, fine shot.:vulcan_salute:

I’m happy with it just as it is. It speaks well for low perspective shooting. Within the arch of the root you have a terrific Sam Abel “window,” which is a superb technique for adding interest to photos. Being a fan of Sam, of course I love this! :blush:

I agree with @Michael_Lowe that the tree and the rock are too similar but it’s a very clever play on the shape here. I will consider cloning out that circular dark area at the bottom edge of the frame left of center.

The focus stack looks just fine to me, Jesse. Your POV is perfect with the tree framing the arch in the rock formation. I agree with @Michael_Lowe and @Adhika_Lie about the tones of the tree and rock being similar. Not sure what you could do other than maybe lighten the tree just a touch and darken the rock just a bit. Anyway, gorgeous image.

Jesse, the focus stack worked great here, nice job. This is a complicated composition but I think the arch through the arch concept works. And I love the clouds in the sky. As others have noted the similarity in color tones between the log and the rock does creating a blending-in effect. Perhaps one way to separate the log from the rock is to significantly burn in the rocks below the log. another approach might be to try a B&W conversion, this might create more separation too.

Oh man those are all great suggestions!!! Thanks guys for the great feedback. @Hank_Pennington I am a huge Sam Abel fan too, If you could’t tell LOL! @Ed_McGuirk Great idea about B&W. I am not sure why I never thought about trying it in B&W but I will now. And you guys are right @Michael_Lowe @Adhika_Lie @Ed_Lowe , It definitely needs some separation some how. . .