The Perch

Any and all technical and artistic feedback appreciated
Canon 5DM3, 40mm, f/16, ISO 400, 1/320 sec. This shot was meant to be the test image to decide my position. I then took 3 series of 6 shots each from slightly different angle to focus stack the final but when I got home I discovered a bug had landed on my lens after this first shot and all the others were toast!

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

A literal bug instead of a digital one. While frustrating, that is somehow refreshing! To my eye, a stack wouldn’t have added much to this image, Kathy. I like the depth of field as posted. I think you positioned the rock very well.

The presence of the bug on your lens maybe was a hint from nature that there was only one shot for you to take. I like the comp and the position of the elements work well with this scene. Well done…Jim

Too bad about the bug, Kathy. And I agree that a focus stack seems of little benefit for this. I find this to be intriguing. Looks like a rock cairn created by the Jolly Green Giant :wink:
I’m curious to know if it’s convenient for you to return to this location, possibly in different light, early or late, and work the scene when the light values are different between the subjects and the BG. I think that would enable some angular lighting one the FG and better definition to the composition.

Thank you Dennis, Jim and Bill for your comments! Bill - luckily for me, I can get back to this spot with just a little effort. It is definitely on my list to try again.

Excellent Kathy! I like this a lot. I might agree with a focus stack not being necessary, but I personally would have shot a 3-image stack as well. But this one came out just great. The color/processing is quite natural and I have no nits or suggestions.

What really makes this image - has to be the perched rock! What a story this garners. It’s either one shot in a million glacial erratic… OR, my cynical mind makes me think someone in 1930 - or so - played a great prank with a back hoe or loader and placed that rock up there. They’re both great stories.

And beautifully composed.

Lon

DOF is just right for me and the comp is nice…
I can see nothing I would change.

If your intent with the focus stack was tp have the mountain as sharp as the foreground, I understand. But I think the mountains actually detract/conflict with a very interesting foreground. Having the background darker and blurred would accentuate the near scene. I like that boulder is off center. I would also include more foreground in front and to the left.

Thank you, Lon! I tried to imagine this being the result of some sort of human endeavor to place the top rock (by my calculations it must weigh at least 400-500 lbs) but it is at least two miles from the nearest trail or track so I am convinced it is a wonderful work of art by Mother Nature and her ice!

Thank you Dan and Rick for your comments!