The Playa

Trite I know, but going to the Alvord desert without taking a mud crack photo seemed silly,

so here is mine.
2 photo stack image.
D800, 20mm f1.8, f8

3 Likes

Beautiful. I love the simplicity and the tasteful edit. The foreground texture is amazing and the colors give me this peaceful and calm vibe.

Really nice Dan, the colors and light are wonderful. I like the subtle nuances of tonality and color in the mud cracks. And the sky looks perfectly processed. I have never been to the Alvord Playa, so this image is not trite for me. Nice work here.

1 Like

Reminds me so much of Death Valley. Very simplistic, minimalist scene with such soft harmonizing colors. I love the tonal variation you captured in the foreground mud cracks and the sky is just perfect. Very zen-like quality to this image.

Dan,
Trite or not there is a reason everyone who visits the Alvord Desert captures an image of mud cracks and there is certainly nothing wrong with that. I have no suggestions for improvement as everything looks fantastic. I particularly like the subtle shades of earth tones in the mud. Beautifully done!

Glad you did, and you backed it up with such a beautiful sky! No nits; this looks great to me.

Agree with all that’s been said. The magenta in the sky and foreground play nicely with one another. I also like the presence of brighter patches in the foreground to add interest and keep the viewer in the foreground. The background/sky will always pull the eye away, so having this subtle change of the pattern in front here helps keep the viewers attention a bit longer - at least it did to me.