The Quite Side (+ Edit)

Edit 2:

Description:

I promised they wouldn’t all be seascapes! While in Acadia I paid for a guide to show me around one evening. We went to a few places I would have never found on my own. I specifically selected evening because sunrise locations are plentiful and I knew I could get my fill there. This was our last stop and we raced up and down two separate mountains in about 1.5 hrs. to get views from both locations.

Specific Feedback Requested:

I’m hopeful the foreground isn’t too chaotic or too rich, interested in your thoughts.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)
Just like a previous edit, I’ve been messing with using multiple smart objects instead of a traditional dodge and burn method. Doing so lets me dial in some different settings for different areas of the photo. It has been an interesting change for me, not sure if it will stick or not.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

David, beautiful image. Composition is strong and the warm FG is comforting. Definitley not chatic IMO.

Color, depth, comp, and light all well done. Yes, foreground is a bit chaotic, but it doesn’t bother me. The light and depth it creates still makes it a valuable element.

Very nice David. This certainly speaks of Acadia to me. I also don’t think the foreground is chaotic, it’s very well composed to my eye. I could see cropping a little of the sky, maybe 50% or less. The sunstar is very nice and well placed in the frame. The brightest rock in the lower right provides a nice counterpoint to the sunstar.

1 Like

@Mario_Cornacchione thank you for checking it out!
@Tony_Kuyper thank you! I rarely have shots that include the sun, so this was a new experience for me, glad it seems to have worked for you as the viewer!
@Craig_Moreau I’m happy that Acadia shines through with this one, The rock in the LRC was a challenge, not sure I’ve handled it perfectly here. Adding another slight adjustment in a few areas to see if it comes together a bit more…

Thanks all, I appreciate your feedback!

Great work David. While the foreground has a lot of elements in it, I think you did a very good job of organizing them to add some structure to it. And my eye gets captured by the sweet light on the grass and granite, so I I don’t mind that the foreground has a lot going on, the nice light saves the foreground as far as I am concerned. The light on the grass is gorgeous. Your processing is right on the money, this looks very natural and appealing. My only nit is that I agree with @Craig_Moreau that I would suggest losing about 40% or 50% of the sky. I think it would place more emphasis on the sunstar, while still keeping enough blue to create the warm/cool contrast that you are looking for.

@Ed_McGuirk Thanks for checking it out. I will take a look at the crop. part of me wants to stick to traditional crop sizes, but i’m thinking thats somewhat arbitrary as well.

Me too for the sky. The blue is a new element apart from all the warm colors. Absent that it would seem more harmonious to me.

There are two schools of thought on aspect ratio. Some folks like to use custom aspect ratios for each image to best suit the needs of that image. That’s fine for a stand alone image. But other folks like to display images in galleries on a portfolio website, or in a collection of images. Some people think having a lot of custom aspect ratios is not the best way to display a collection of images as a group. They prefer more uniformity, and settle on using a limited number of aspect ratios. People who print and display images often use uniform aspect ratios to simplify framing/matting etc. It can be a dilemma.

Another thing is a lot of people here at NPN prefer 5:7 over 3:2 for vertical images. I’m usually a 3:2 guy myself (grew up on 35mm film), but I think this image works better as a 5:7 for the reasons already mentioned above.