The Rain after the Snow

This was taken on a rainy day that helped our fairly heavy snowfall disappear a few days ago. The Bluebirds came through the snow just fine with the aid of about 1500 mealworms. These to males were incredibly saturated in the stormy light and I toned them down quite a bit.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Sony A7Riv, FE200-600 @ 600 mm, hand held, f/8, 1/1600, iso 1250, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 8712x5772. Taken February 14th at 3:04 pm. I eliminated a couple of twigs that I didn’t like and desaturated the main characters a bit.

2 Likes

I can imagine those blues were difficult to capture correctly in that light, Dennis. Bluebirds are always fun. They look plump and healthy.

Nice poses and excellent detail. Good job on the colors. Nice background and the raindrops add a nice touch. New camera?

1 Like

Wonderful environmental view. Excellent color and detail. At first, I didn’t see the OOF BB in the BG.

@Allen_Brooks. Yup. This is I think the third image I’ve posted using it. The crop sensor Sony is physically a bit small for my klutzy hands but this one fits nicely. I’m liking it a lot thus far.

Lovely photo Dennis. I really like the setting with the bg and rain falling. The birds seem to glow from the bottom up. Peaceful. I might lighten the area around the eyes just a tad. I hope you enjoy the new camera.

Oh Dennis! I love this photo! It’s so neat seeing the rain around the birds. And that’s awesome getting so many in the frame! I love also the background bird as well. Beautifully done!

Hi Dennis,

The blues are very nice and bluebirds photograph well on a cloudy dreary day. I think that David’s suggestion is worth trying to tease out some details around the eyes. Comp is nice too with all the rain drops. Well done…Jim

Sweet! I love Bluebirds (who doesn’t?) and you captured a lovely rainy scene.

Hi Dennis
Very nice looking Blue Birds. I like the third Blue Bird in the background, I believe it helps to balance out the centering of the two vary good looking Blue Birds.
Peter