Western Bluebird

One from nearly a week ago now (the weather got nasty shortly after this was taken). This male posed very nicely in one of our Garry Oaks for quite some time.

NOTE: After posting this, I noticed some color fringing in the background and it’s not all where I made adjustments. I’m not seeing any issues in LR, so I’m wondering if they came in on the conversion to JPEG, but I just checked and the JPEG looks fine viewed directly on the computer.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything. In the original there was a large very dark green area on the left center of the image that I didn’t care for, so I stole some colors from elsewhere in the image and painted that portion to fit with the rest. The only other change to the background was painting over a couple of twigs along the bottom that exited the frame.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Sony a6500, FE200-600 @ 600 mm, hand held, f/8, 1/1600, iso 1000, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Full frame. A slight micro-contrast enhancement to the bird and some local adjustments to saturation and exposure.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Very pleasant color palate. Well composed with superb detail. I am not seeing the fringing on my laptop. I might blur out the oof leaves on the right side to more closely match the rest of the image.

A very fine capture and a nice job pp’n. I also might take out the oof leaves on rh side. As a personal preference I might also brighten the bird a bit, although the soft colors work well together.

Very nice with great color coordination. I’m a bit bothered by how close the lowest branch is to the bottom of the frame, and the visual weight being so far to the right side. For my taste, I could do with some removal of the negative space on the left where nothing is balancing the right areas. The lighting/contrast on the bird is a bit flat. I’d suggests a quick mask with a large soft brush, staying inside the confines of the bird, and brightening a bit with a curve. I tried to download it to give it a try but I can only get a .webp file.

Very nice setting for this colourful bird. Good that you gave the bird enough space, I would not consider changing that. To my taste, good as presented ! Cheers, Hans

I like how the background colors work well with the bluebird. Good pose and detail; agree with Hans, fine as presented-a nice composition.

This makes me miss my bluebirds. Dennis, you really captured nice details in his feathers, and the colors are really nice. He looks like he is posing for you nicely. The background really works well to make him stand out. Great shot.

This is excellent Dennis, great light, nice Bg, no fringing here, I might just tone down the few branch highlights. Diane has some good points on the comp.