The Red-tailed Hawk at 1680mm

Well, not any closer but bigger in the frame. He sometimes hangs out in this tree but the best I can do at 1000mm (the 100-500 + 2X) is pretty small in the frame. I can get a few more pixels on the subject with the 600 f/4 + 2X but I decided to see what I could do by stacking on the 1.4X. (I can do that by using the 12mm extension tube as a spacer.) That makes the rig very back-heavy. I’ve balanced it before by tying a big fishing weight to the lens hood but this time just steadied it with my hands and zoomed in for manual focus – very awkward, but I didn’t think the hawk would hang out long. I got lucky when he peered down for a few seconds. He perches on a couple of different branches and neither affords a clean shot.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome, including opinions on my sanity!

Technical Details

Camera and lens noted above. 1/640 sec at ISO 800. The 1.4X is invisible with the stacking, so the camera only records the aperture and focal length with the 2X, which is f/8. It would be down another stop, to f/11. Does the extension tube lose a little more? In LR, only lifted Shadows a bit as I had unintentionally underexposed a little. Cloned out some edge distractions and cropped to 63% of the original pixels, for composition.

The view at 600mm – enedited raw except Shadows pulled up.

Great photo image, Diane. Nice and sharp and the details came great. The hawk posed just perfect for you. You did well with putting together what was needed.

The hawk gave you nice poses in both images. I wonder how much IQ would have been lost, if, instead of using the 1.4x, you cropped in camera at 1.6? I’ve tried this a few times out of curiosity and there is a difference, but in my test cases not too bad.

Thanks, @Allen_Brooks – I’ve never tried the 1.6 crop factor – really should – I assumed it was no different in IQ than cropping afterwards, just a better view for focusing. What difference have you found?

Hi Diane, nice image! I think the IQ held up well considering the focal length. I like the pose and good look at the eye.

I often use the 1.6 to get closer for ID purposes. I’ve compared full frame to 1.6 crop on a few occasions when the bird was fairly close, in good light, and fairly stationary. I thought the difference was minor, but still discernible when scrutinized closely. I set up the DOF preview button to be able to quickly switch between full frame and 1.6 crop.

That is such an intense look, Diane. Great catch. And great story about your gear too. Well done.

This really worked out well for you. Good thing the hawk wasn’t moving. This shows some excellent technical expertise with respect to the stacking. I just got too old to be able to carry a 600 F4 anymore. Way too heavy. And I’m always impressed with those who are able to handhold it. My Nikon 500 PF F5 .6 weighs 3 pounds and works well with an extender. I only wish there was a good adapter that would convert Nikon to Sony mirrorless.

So, have you named him or her yet?
I read where the only way to tell if Red-tailed Hawks are male or female is their size, the females are noticeably larger?

This really is a fine image, Diane.
At 63% of full frame on a 45MP sensor, you should be able to print a 14 inch high print with good results, at least I think so.
It’s nice and sharp and the colors are really good. The pose is intense.
I can only hope to get something this good one day.

Nice setup with the 600, 2x… and the 1.4x, the results are very good IQ wise.
Sounds like a pain to coordinate while manually focusing… and unbalanced but well worth it from where I sit. :slight_smile: (easy for me to say, right?)

Nice work!