The Rosette Nebula

Maybe the most beautiful of all. Located east of Orion in the sky…

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
6.5 hours of imaging over several nights in my backyard in Portland Oregon (Bortle 8) and I will add to this in the next few weeks hopefully…
Asi294 mc color camera with Williams gt 71 telescope.
PP in Astropixel, Pixinsight , Capture and Affinity photo

2 Likes

Beautiful and it almost doesn’t look real. I might clone out the star on the right edge? Astro photography is a whole different skill and equipment set.

This is sensational, Dan. I am curious what the additional images you intend to add will do for the image? I have very limited understanding of Astro Photography…

Thanks Harley… with an AsiAIR computer ($300) and an iPhone to run it , it is way easier than most people realize which is why it is a booming hobby right now.
I set up in my backyard, find my target with a GOTO mount, start shooting and go inside and cook dinner…
Processing is way fun and challenging also.

David, I continue to shoot the nebula and just keep adding to the stack, I am at 128-3 minute images now (6.5 hours) and I am going to get another 2-3 hours in the next few weeks.
More time and more exposure just keeps adding to the detail.

2 Likes

A very nice composition on the nebula, with very pleasing color! It will be interesting to see a comparison with the added acquisition time.

Wow, just wow! I’m in total awe. That red is such a beautiful colour.

These are amazing. This one looks like my red hibiscus flower in the yard. I would maybe make the blacks a bit darker (move the black point). I also wonder if more black space around the nebula would have looked good. By that I mean that the nebula not take up so much space within the frame. I really know nothing about astrophotography though.

Thanks Igor, you have to know nothing about astrophotography for the criticism, I appreciate it, Astro is like any other discipline, this is a cropped image, I have looser comps and I am not sure which I like best.
Thanks for the feedback and the black point comment is also well taken. It is not different from great flower or landscape photography.
It is not that much different than stacking 100 Macro Rose images except every astro image adds a bit more light rather than focus,

Love this one, Dan. The colour, texture and luminance give it a sense of solidity, depth and dimension. Plus, for me, it has an anthropomorphic feel to it - some sort of bizarre face that feels like it is looking back at me.
P.S. If Harley hadn’t mentioned the star middle right, I’m not sure I would have noticed but as it is, it keeps pulling at my pant leg.